A summer of fresh air and fun

From Richmond to Pitt Meadows, here are some beautiful outdoor spots for family-friendly or solo enjoyment

0
265
PHOTO: Lucas Santos / Unsplash

By: Izzy Cheung, staff writer

One of the best things about summer is spending time outside. Whether you’re hiking, enjoying the water, or taking in local art, there are plenty of options for outdoor activities in the Lower Mainland. If you’ve got a free day to explore the outdoors, consider checking a few of these out. 

PHOTO: Jeff Kingma / Unsplash

Deer Lake 

Deer Lake in Burnaby is a perfect place to spend a sunny day. There’s not only a walking trail that takes you around the lake, but there’s also canoe, kayak, and pedalboat rentals. Two-person boats can be rented for $31 per hour, which includes the cost of a lifejacket and paddles or oars. Deer Lake also has two free outdoor musical events occurring throughout the summer. The first, Burnaby’s Symphony in the Park, will take place on July 15. The Burnaby Blues and Roots Music Festival is set for August 12.

PHOTO: Peter Skaronis / Unsplash

The Shipyards District 

North Vancouver’s Shipyards District on the waterfront is home to a skating rink in the winter, and a plethora of outdoor events in the summer. The Queer Bash Art Exhibition is occurring until July 1, which will showcase works that “explore the binary of joy amidst tragedy, critique public vs private support, and blur masculinity with femininity.” Theatrical Walking Tours of the area will also be held by fully costumed players until September 27. Other events occurring throughout the summer include outdoor movie screenings, yoga sessions, farmers markets, and a weekly night market held every friday. 

PHOTO: Ted McGrath / Flickr

Rocky Point 

Those who live in the Tri-Cities know Rocky Point is far from a hidden gem, as it’s known for its variety of breweries, eateries, and spots to enjoy the outdoors. Kayaks and paddleboards are also available for rent. However, if you’re simply looking for a spot where you can quietly and enjoy the scenery, then look no further than Old Orchard Park. Located just across the water from Rocky Point, you can follow the Shoreline Trail to get to this picnic-perfect park. Plenty of events take place here throughout the summer such as the ever-famous Rib Fest and Summer Sundays concerts

PHOTO: Lauren Kan / Unsplash

Pitt River/Pitt Lake 

Pitt Lake is a large tidal lake situated in Pinecone Burke Provincial Park and Golden Ears Provincial Park, just north of Pitt Meadows. The south end of the lake is adjacent to a relatively easy stroll that will treat you to the sights and sounds of the mountains. Pitt-Addington Marsh is a scenic dyke point with various trails you can explore. Or, you can rent a canoe and get out on the water for a peaceful yet scenic daytime activity. 

PHOTO: Lucas Santos / Unsplash

Steveston Village

Located at the southernmost edge of Richmond, Steveston Village is a great little area to spend part of a day in. Their wide variety of cafes, dessert shops, and eateries make for an ample selection of activities. Only a short walk away from the main harbour is Garry Point Park, which is home to a Japanese garden and fisherman’s memorial. You can end off your day with trivia night at GoodCo Bar. Throughout the summer, Steveston also hosts a salmon festival, vintage fair, and a grand prix of art.