Council Meeting — September 15, 2021

The council hears from Joy Johnson regarding the return to campus

0
1091
SFU Stadium with red seating
PHOTO: Krystal Chan / The Peak

By: Karissa Ketter, News Writer 

Return to campus concerns voiced

President Joy Johnson attended the council meeting to answer councillors’ questions regarding the return to campus and SFU’s COVID-19 safety measures. “In terms of returning to campus, it has not been a smooth and direct path to get to where we are today,” she said. 

Johnson reported in BC, post-secondary institutions have been all working together to find a way to get back to campus while following public health orders. “There was a lot of concern around the mental health of students [ . . . ] and so it was really important to try and find a way to get us back on campus.

“Vaccination rates, self-reported, albeit, were sitting around 94%,” said Johnson.

Biology representative Nicolas Bonilla noted there hasn’t been any vaccine enforcement and asked if there will be moving forward. Johnson noted vaccinations are required at select places around the campus such as the pub, UniverCity, students living in residence, among others. Johnson responded, “If you have a concern I’d really encourage you to contact Campus Safety and let them know.

“In the last weeks of August, we were trying to find a way to open up our community to new students. Also, to raise their voices around safety issues [ . . . ] we were trying to work with our public health officials to say at minimum, we need mandatory masks,” said Johnson.

She noted, “One thing that really surprised us is when the minister of advanced education Anne Kang set up a press conference and said universities can put in extra measures should they so desire. Later on, in clarification, we were told we can put in extra measures but we have to work with public health.”

Vice president equity and sustainability Marie Haddad presented some photos and videos that highlighted a lack of social distancing, ability to remove masks in lectures, and other safety concerns, particularly in crowded areas such as the hallways in the AQ. 

Johnson reported “there is no requirement for social distancing anymore in post-secondary institutions.” She also noted public health orders allow lecture halls to be at full capacity. “There is very little evidence of transmission in classrooms,” said Johnson. 

Vice president university and academic affairs Serena Bains noted the requirement of documentations by the Centre for Accessible Learning is causing “undue burden” for students requiring assistance. Bains said, “I’m wondering what SFU is doing to ensure that these folks can receive the access to learning that they need that supports their health at the same time.” Johnson noted she cannot comment at this time but would follow up.

Executive Committee support for hiring Black faculty members at SFU

President Gabe Lioisis presented a report updating councillors on the executive committee’s work. He noted the executive committee passed a motion brought forth to the SFU Senate. This motion asked SFU to “hire 15 Black tenure track faculty at SFU.”

Liosis noted the motion passed in Senate on September 13, 2021. “It’s an exciting achievement,” said Liosis. “There was a lot of work and labour put in by Black student activists and community leaders to make that happen.”

Council supports Anti-TMX Day of Action

The Council put forth a motion to support the Anti-TMX Day of Action which took place on September 24, 2021. The event was held by SFU350 and the Teaching Support Staff Union at SFU.

The Council’s motion included their endorsement, financial support, and promotion of the event. They created a working group of Council members to volunteer at the event.

Their motion states the Trans Mountain Expansion (TMX) project is adding 13 new tanks next to the Burnaby Campus. Over a 50 year period, the probability of an oil spill is 79–87%. This would create a “devastating environmental impact for BC’s wildlife.”

In the case of a fire caused by a tank spill, students would be trapped on the mountain with little route to escape. 

Haddad highlighted the TMX pipeline goes against Indigenous sovereignty and safety. 

The motion passed unanimously.