Album versus Album: Arctic Monkeys

Comparing Arctic Monkeys’ most popular album against their most recent

0
527

By: Kim Regala, SFU Student

AM (2013)

Electric guitars, heavy drumming, and Alex Turner’s mesmerizing vocals — Arctic Monkeys had all of the ingredients to create one of their most flawless albums, AM. Almost every song is arguably a hit: from “Do I Wanna Know?”, which features a memorable guitar riff, all the way down to the more affectionate sound of “I Wanna Be Yours.” The album is a cohesive collection with a clear rock-and-roll influence, blending just the right amount of headbangers and slow ballads. Without a doubt, AM is one of the most recognizable albums to date in the indie rock genre.

Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino (2018)

A complete contrast to 2013 Arctic Monkeys, Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino channels more of a cocktail-lounge vibe. The band takes a very experimental approach, leaving their electric guitars behind to favour retro keyboards. There is a definite David Bowie influence, especially in songs like “Star Treatment” and “Four Out of Five” that are rich with motifs of outer space. However, the intricate and unfamiliar verse patterns in each song are hard to follow, so at times, you might find them more confusing than enjoyable.

Verdict

An album like AM is a hard act to follow, and the release of Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino makes that clear. While I’m all for bands growing and changing their sound, it takes a particular type to appreciate the complexities in their 2018 album. AM, on the other hand, is packed with catchy tunes that no fan of indie rock could resist.