Album Review

0
454

By: Adam Madojemu and Neil MacAlister

Fenn by Tom Rosenthal

If you told me a year ago that a song about pasta would make me emotional, I probably would’ve stopped taking music recommendations from you and a large portion of your extended family. Somehow Tom Rosenthal changed that with his new album, Fenn.

Named after his newborn daughter, the indie-folk album contains 15 strong tracks, all positive in message but still taking the listener on a roller coaster of emotions. Rosenthal introduces new instruments, such as synthesizers and trumpets, to his arsenal, and they complement his usual acoustic style and remarkable vocal range. However, the album’s beauty doesn’t stop there: Fenn displays Rosenthal’s skill at songwriting, with tracks like “Oh No Pedro” and opener “Fenn” managing to tug at your heartstrings while remaining playful. The single “P.A.S.T.A” is the most heartfelt song about food I’ve ever heard in my life. I had to listen to it multiple times to confirm whether it was really about pasta and not a person, yet that realization did not cheapen the song’s sincerity. Seemingly simple and quirky on the surface, Fenn is a beautiful album that stays on your mind long after your first listen. – AM

4eva Is A Mighty Long Time by Big K.R.I.T.

One of the South’s most remarkable modern artists, Big K.R.I.T. is an accomplished lyricist and brilliant artist who, after finally escaping label trappings that hampered his productivity in recent years, has returned with a double album that might be his best work to date. With a sound reminiscent of Outkast and a voice like an impassioned evangelist preacher, K.R.I.T. brought every ounce of his signature integrity to his much-anticipated new project, 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time. Much like Future’s recent Future and HNDRXX albums, 4eva shows off the two sides of a revered artist. The first half, introduced by the song “Big K.R.I.T.,” is pure trunk-knocking, dirty south hip hop, with stellar features from UGK, CeeLo Green, and T.I. while the second half, prologued by a song titled “Justin Scott” after K.R.I.T.’s legal name, is a gospel-drenched, introspective look into the artist’s life and his struggles. K.R.I.T.’s been holding down the Southern underground for years, and this project is the perfect example to prove his remarkable abilities. – NM

Without Warning by 21 Savage, Offset, and Metro Boomin
There’s probably no better group of artists to drop a surprise Halloween album than 21 Savage, Offset, and Metro Boomin. Metro, one of the best producers of the last several years, has always had a horror-esque flavour to his production, but he really amped up the spookiness for Without Warning. 21 Savage brought all of his detached apathy and violent authenticity, sounding every bit like the horror movie villain Metro’s beats deserve. But it was Offset who really proved himself on this album. Offset, one-third of the Atlanta rap trio Migos, has always been a strong contender for the group’s most impressive member. On songs like “Ric Flair Drip” and “Still Serving,” he’s certainly proved himself as a great writer with an endless supply of incredible flows. In a year that’s seen its fair share of joint albums (Future & Young Thug, Kodak Black & Plies, etc.), 21 Savage and Offset proved themselves to be a winning combination, with the help of Metro’s unparalleled production. – NM