New Music Friday

0
453
(Linda Shu / The Peak)

By: Edna Batengas, Sera Akdogan, Neil MacAlister

“Cash Out” – Calvin Harris, ScHoolboy Q, PARTYNEXTDOOR, D.R.A.M.

Edna Batengas: Even though I was certainly not even a thought in my parents’ minds in 1975, from the get go I was like, “Oh yeah, I’m going to love this song.” With such a collaboration of artists, how can you not love it? Plus D.R.A.M. just makes this track even better. Its catchy chorus just gives me positive vibes and that’s all I need this summer.

Sera Akdogan: I feel like I’ve heard this song before. Oh yeah, that’s right, it has almost exactly the same beat as that other Calvin Harris song, “Feels.” It would be great if someone in the mainstream music game could come up with something different this year.

Neil MacAlister: Love me some Groovy Q. “Feels” had me a little worried, but Calvin’s followed it up with another stellar single. PARTYNEXTDOOR isn’t doing a whole lot here, but Q and D.R.A.M. are flowing all over this beat. I’m really into this.

“Sun Comes Up” – Rudimental, James Arthur

EB: I’ve always been a big fan of both Rudimental and James Arthur. This song is so uplifting and refreshing, and I think I can hear some marimba in the background. Sounds likes a summer breakup song, but not the sappy kind. This is one of those “I’ve been there, but I’m OK, and life goes on.” Definitely downloading this one ASAP.

SA: I love James Arthur, and I think he did a great collaboration with Rudimental in this song. Although it’s not my cup of tea, it’s pretty catchy, and it’s perfect for those warm summer nights.

NM: I’ve never really been disappointed by Rudimental. This is cool, nothing too special.

“Chinatown” – Liam Gallagher

EB: Lacks originality. I swear I’ve heard something just like this before. I mean, I do appreciate the lyrics, though. Chinatown seems like a pretty cool place to fall in love.

SA: Liam Gallagher’s voice has always kind of bothered me (minus a few songs from Oasis). This just doesn’t do it for me, unfortunately. I’d rather listen to “Wonderwall.”

NM: For some reason, this really reminds me of Raine Maida’s solo album. I’ve never been too fond of the Gallagher’s post-Oasis stuff, but this is pretty enjoyable.

“Signs” – Drake

EB: I was so excited to see my homie Drake on this playlist. Why is Drake always hurting? People need to stop being mean to him. Aubrey, you need new friends who’ll treat you right. Just slide into my DMs already. And if not, I hope one day you find happiness.

SA: I will always love Drake, even though he’s incredibly boring now and seems to lack inspiration for new music. This song is especially lacklustre. I could probably fall asleep to it.

NM: This song follows the same formula as the majority of More Life, but honestly I like this more than just about anything else on that album. It just has a really cool vibe, it’s like a mix of old Drake writing and new Drake sound.

“The Future” – San Holo, James Vincent McMorrow

EB: Wow, this song just makes me want to lay in bed feeling all deep and nostalgic about life. Why do I feel so mellow ?

SA: I really love the vocals on this track — James Vincent McMorrow sounds like an angel, and his voice is smooth along the beats in the background. This song is dynamic and keeps you interested. I like it.

NM: I love McMorrow’s voice; he always reminds me of a more upbeat James Blake.

“Cold Fire” – Saya

EB: She has a great voice, but it’s not unique and neither is this song. Sorry, it’s a ‘no’ from me.

SA: Saya’s voice isn’t terrible, but the song itself lacks originality. I feel like I’ve heard it before, but I don’t think I liked it the first time I heard it, either.

NM: There are a couple dozen artists who sound exactly like this girl, but I still kind of dig this. I like the way the song builds; this is mellow with a beat.

“God i Formen” – Yung Smul, Sebastian Zalo, Aun Gold

EB: Are they rapping in French?? If I am right, then woah, that really snuck up on me.

SA: I didn’t even notice until 59 seconds in that they were singing and rapping in a different language. I’m not sure what language this is, but it’s strangely catchy, and mysteriously sexy . . .

NM: This is really cool. Foreign hip hop is getting more and more airplay over here. It’s so interesting to hear different takes on the genre.

“The Way I Love Her” – Stanaj

EB: He’s really talented and I think that his music deserves so much more appreciation. I hope it makes top charts.

SA: Why is Justin Bieber still popular when there are people like Stanaj who just sound so much better? Not my style of music, but Stanaj has a killer voice and this trumps mainstream JB any day.

NM: I’m pretty ambivalent to this. Nothing’s sticking out.

“Bal Sakliyor” – Deniz Seki

EB: Unfortunately I am unable to understand what they are saying, but the music sounds pretty good. Is this Turkish music?

SA: This is very Turkish, and brings me back to my roots. Excuse me while I blast Deniz Seki while sailing across the Bosphorus in Istanbul, drinking cay and singing along (albeit poorly).

NM: This is pretty cool, sounds like a modern take on traditional sounds. Not something I’d return to but definitely interesting.

“Mi Gente” – J Balvin, Willy William

EB: Where do I know that annoying beat from? OMG, I’ve heard this before. I just can’t place my finger on where.

SA: My favourite part was when they went, “LA LA LA LA LA!” It’s just so much fun. I love it.

NM: Wow, this is the most multicultural NMF yet. The beat is super hypnotic, but nothing else is really grabbing my attention.

“In My Mind” – LVNDSCAPE, Mi Manchi

EB: Oooh, I like this one. It sounds a little like house music. Once again, chilled vibes. I approve.

SA: This song has a bit of a ‘90s flair to it, which I like. I wouldn’t skip this on the radio.

NM: This is so airy and ethereal. This sounds like mid-2000s Internet pop, I’m digging it.

“Young Black America” – Meek Mill, The-Dream

EB: His lyrics are so on point, thus surfacing a deeper message that needs to be shared. Damn right, being young and black in America isn’t a walk in the park.

SA: Finally, a 2017 rap song that actually has substance and a significant message behind it. More artists should be discussing these issues instead of just rapping about money and asses. Props to Meek Mill and the-Dream.

NM: Honestly, I’ve never been too big into Meek. He’s put out a few really good songs and his last album was cool, but even though this is probably some of his best writing, it just isn’t doing much for me. Shout-out to the-Dream, though.