World News Beat

0
497

ISRAEL – DEATH OF SHIMON PERES

Shimon Peres, former president of Israel (2007–14), died on September 28 at the age of 93. Many Western politicians attended his funeral and paid tribute to this founding father of Israel, and key negotiator of the Oslo Accord in 1993. The Oslo Accord was one of the most important steps in the peace process in the Middle East: it established a mutual recognition of Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization. Peres was awarded with the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994. Nevertheless, many Arab leaders, except Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, remain critical of his politics and refused to attend his funeral.

With files from Lemonde.fr

BAHAMAS – BAHAMAS LEAKS, THE SCANDAL WEAKENING THE EUROPEAN UNION

A recent leak revealed that Neelie Kroes, former European commissioner, neglected to declare her interests in an offshore business in the Bahamas. This constitutes a violation of the code of European commissioners. Her nomination was already controversial, as she is currently associated with businesses like Uber and Bank of America. Kroes said this was an administrative error, but her opponents have argued the scandal reveals a conflict of interests. This leak comes after José Manuel Barroso, former president of the European Commission, was recently hired by Goldman Sachs, the party considered responsible for the 2008 financial crisis.

With files from BBC News

ITALY – TWO FORMER NUNS MARRIED IN DISCREET CEREMONY IN ITALY

Federica and Isabel met when they were working at a centre for drug addicts. The two were married on October 5. Italy passed legislation to authorize same-sex marriage in June. As Federica and Isabel were nuns when they met, they both renounced their vocations and spoke out against the Catholic Church’s position on same-sex marriage, but said they still have faith. This is not the first time members of the Catholic church have left the church: in 2015, Krzysztof Charamsa, a Polish priest, was suspended after publicly proclaiming his sexual orientation.

With files from The Guardian