Women’s soccer suffers second loss of the season against Western Washington

0
406
Olivia Aguiar had a chance to tie the game up late, but hit the crossbar.

The women’s soccer team was handed its second defeat of the season by the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) champion, the Western Washington University (WWU) Vikings.

After quickly getting into the rhythm of the game, the Clan seemed at ease in terms of possession and handled the first half with authority and technique. A mistake cost the team a potential win, though.

The goal that would win the game was scored by WWU forward Elise Aylward. She chested the ball into the goal 20 minutes following the kickoff, converting an assist from her teammate Gabriela Pelogi.

“We made one mistake and it cost us the win.”

Aside from the Vikings goal, SFU goalkeeper Priya Sandhu gave a quality performance and stood strong between the posts. The Vikings unleashed a total of 11 shots on her, as well as several other attempts in the penalty area. The Clan protected the net well, with midfielder Jenna Baxter diverting a free kick, and the defence blocking two corners.

SFU returned strong during the second half. The team generated several chances, reaching a total of eight attempts against the Vikings and creating multiple opportunities of scoring quality goals, including a spectacular long shot by Olivia Aguiar, which hit the bar.

The Clan lost the Vikings by a final score of 1–0. Despite a strong collective performance, the Clan’s terrific attempts to turn the game in its favour were not enough to take on the GNAC title contender. Still, the Clan fans witnessed what the “Beautiful Game” is about.

“I think we played a very solid game,” said coach Annie Hamel. “We made one mistake and it cost us the win. We had our opportunities, we creates our chances. We had a game plan, we executed well, but sometimes you fall short [. . .] We are ready to move forward.”

After 90 minutes witnessing her team battle to defend the home pitch, Hamel reflected on the loss and the changes in the next few games. “There are always areas of improvement. Now we have to limit those little mistakes that we make throughout the game. This was a great performance, and for us it is just about building on that. The game can be cruel at times.”

Freshman Emma Pringle has been remarkable in her first season with the Clan. The Clan’s new rookie — who scored four goals in five appearances — noted that “collectively we have played very well [. . .] My goals are from my team and my team always helps me. I’m very confident about next game. I feel that we are ready to take on any team. I just keep my head up and strive for the best.’’

Moving forward, the Clan will be taking Terry Fox Field again on September 29 against Seattle Pacific University. The game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.