St. Lucia wows Venue Nightclub

0
574
St. Lucia draws their musical inspiration from global sources.

The dedication that St. Lucia has to their fans is on another level. On Tuesday night the band played Venue Nightclub on Granville St., but they only just made it. In the early morning hours as the band was travelling from Spokane Washington along the I-90, they were stuck in a homicide investigation.

After the show during a brief conversation with Patti Beranek, the band’s keyboardist, she said that their manager and tour manager felt there was no possibility of making the show that night. It was only Jean-Philip Grobler, the lead singer and creative force for the band, who was convinced that they would be able to make it. And he didn’t want to cancel the show since that was something that they had never cancelled one before.

Grobler’s belief in the band being able to make it to Vancouver was put to the test as they only arrived three hours before the took the stage at 10 p.m. This rushed set-up meant that there was minimal stage production, and the open act Grace Mitchell was unable to perform.

While it would have been nice to see Mitchell — who is a rising star — and the stage production that St. Lucia normally has, there was never a moment when it felt like something was missing from the show. This could have been related to their performance being flawless and filled with energy from start to finish, or that by performing in a nightclub there was enough lights that they could use to suit their needs — since they did not have time to set up their normal lighting beforehand. In any event, it never felt like this was a rushed show.

If you are able to see St. Lucia next time they come to Vancouver or near Vancouver on tour or for any other show, don’t pass up the opportunity. Their constant energy is infectious, and their musical performance is on point, even without fancy stage production.