NHL Draft midseason checkup

0
365
Jakob Chychrun (centre) is no longer a lock for the top two spots, but still should be picked in the top five.

Back in October, I wrote an article highlighting some draft eligible players to watch out for over the course of the hockey season. Now, with the NHL and various junior leagues winding down, It is a good a time as any to go back and re-evaluate how right — or how wrong — I was on them.

Auston Matthews

Back in October, I said that barring a big drop off in his play, Matthews would go number one. Well, not much has changed since then, as he remains the clear-cut favourite to go number one overall. He has 46 points in 36 games playing against men in the Swiss-A league this year, and I still see him being the consensus number one pick.

October Prediction: 1st Overall

March Prediction: 1st Overall

Jakob Chychrun

Chychrun has put up 46 points in 59 games as a defenseman so far this season in the Ontario Hockey League, yet his draft stock may have slipped. In October, I called him the consensus number two pick, but now that’s very unlikely. It’s not that he hasn’t played well; it’s just the two Finns below have played so well. I can see him going to a team in the top five that lost out on the top spot, and has a pressing need for defence (the Oilers, anyone?).

October Prediction: 2nd Overall

March Prediction: Top 5

Jesse Puljujarvi

To say Puljujarvi had a good World Junior would be an understatement. Not only did Finland win Gold, but Puljujarvi was named tournament MVP, top forward, and finished with the most points — 17 in just seven games. This has catapulted him up the rankings, so much so that he could challenge Matthew for top spot. He and fellow Finn Patrick Laine are very close, but I’m going to put Puljujarvi third because he has less points than Laine in more games played.

October Prediction: Top 5

March Prediction: 3rd Overall

Patrick Laine

Laine finished as the top goal scorer in the World Junior Championships, averaging a goal a game with seven in total. I said back in October that his draft position would be determined mostly by his success at the WJCs. Well, with his performance, he’s certainly cemented his top three ranking, and I think he will go second overall. He’s also  scored 33 points in 46 games in the Finnish Liiga, the top professional league in the Country.

October Prediction: 5th to 7th

March Prediction: 2nd Overall

Tyler Benson

With news that Tyler Benson is going to be shut down the rest of the season, it’s safe to say that his draft stock is going to fall as a result. After being highly touted coming into the WHL, he has disappointed thus far, only putting up 45 points in his first season and 28 in 30 this year. I don’t think he will be a first rounder anymore, but I think he will be a great pick in the second round.

October Prediction: 18th to 23rd

March Prediction: 2nd round

Matthew Tkachuk

The son of former NHLer Keith Tkachuk, Matthew is having an incredible season for the OHL’s London Knights. He has 100 points in 52 games so far this season, 75 of which are assists. Some may wonder if he’s just riding the coattails of last year’s fourth overall pick Mitch Marner, but after seeing him at the Top Prospects Game without Marner, I think he’s still the real deal. Any team would be lucky to have him.

October Prediction: Top 5

March Prediction: Top 5