CENTRE STAGE: Sheridan’s classic The Rivals is full of wit

0
1400
Martin Harper and Gabrielle Rose help make an over 200-year-old play feel fresh

First performed in 1775, this British comedy of manners by Richard Brinsley Sheridan is surprisingly relevant in its latest rendition set in the Edwardian era by Blackbird Theatre. Over-the-top characters, witty dialogue, and confused identities make this an enduring play that, while quaint and old fashioned, manages to feel fresh.

The rivals in question are men hoping to marry Miss Lydia Languish (Emma Slipp), niece of Mrs. Malaprop (Gabrielle Rose) who is desperate to find her a suitable husband. Lydia has her own ideas about who she would like to marry and plans to run away and elope with a beau she’s been writing to named Ensign Beverley. This Beverley is in fact Captain Jack Absolute (Martin Harper), who decided to assume the identity in order to woo Lydia in a more romantic way, similar to the novels she had been reading.

The other rivals include Bob Acres (Kirk Smith), a friend of Jack’s who is unaware of his relationship with Lydia, and the American Sir Lucius O’Trigger (an Irishman in the original), played with a wonderful southern drawl by Scott Bellis, who is under the impression that he has been corresponding with Lydia, but has in fact been writing to Mrs. Malaprop. This confusion is courtesy of Lucy the maid (Jenny Wasko-Patterson) who cashes in on all the information she is privy to.

Mrs. Malaprop and Sir Anthony Absolute (Duncan Fraser) decide that his son Jack and her niece Lydia should be wed, and the confusion that follows due to Jack’s second identity drives the play forward with plenty of laughs. Sir Anthony’s description of Jack’s future wife increases in hilarity as he details each part of her face, and how exquisite it is.     

Adding to the comedy throughout were Mrs. Malaprop’s malapropisms (a word created in honour of her character and referring to one word, but meaning something completely different). For example, “He can tell you all the perpendiculars,” “He’s as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile,” and “If I reprehend anything in this world, it is the use of my oracular tongue, and a nice derangement of epitaphs.”

Set in the resort town of Bath, England, the period costumes and country courtyard set added a final touch of class to this play of love and marriage. Lydia’s best friend Julia Melville (Luisa Jojic) and her fiancé Mr. Faulkland (John Emmet Tracy) rounded out this extremely talented cast who delivered a highly entertaining show, proving that an 18th century comedy of manners can delight a modern day audience.  

The Rivals is playing at The Clutch Historical Theatre until January 23rd.