The Arts Club brings back their beloved holiday classic, It’s a Wonderful Life

0
478

Sometimes we forget how good we have it. It can be easy to get depressed if we focus on what we don’t have or what we envy about other people’s lives, but It’s a Wonderful Life shows us that it’s important to practice gratitude and recognize all the wonderful things we have in our lives already. The Arts Club first presented this production in 2007, and after a three-year hiatus in 2012 the show is back once again. Directed by Dean Paul Gibson, the show features the same all-star cast, beautiful sets, and festive charm of its previous iterations.

The inimitable Bob Frazer stars at George Bailey, a responsible family man who takes over the family business at Bailey Building and Loan when his father unexpectedly passes away. After this, he watches his brother go to college, travel, and experience things outside of Bedford Falls that he himself had once dreamt of. As time passes, he becomes disenchanted with his life, and an $8,000 blunder by his uncle sets him on a path of self-destruction.  

Watching in the wings, while waiting for his own set of wings, is Clarence, the angel in training. He is shown George Bailey’s life story in order to lead up to the present moment when he needs to save his life. Bernard Cuffling’s performance as Clarence was full of subtle hilarity building until the climax of the play when he finally takes action.

Jennifer Lines plays George’s wife, Mary Bailey, and the combination of Frazer and Lines together on stage was the highlight of the show. It’s clear that they have an immense amount of respect for each other, and their friendship leads to wonderful chemistry. The only thing that briefly brought me out of the story was struggling to imagine the two of them as 18-year-olds while they frolicked in the street in borrowed clothes that they grabbed after falling into the high school pool.

I enjoyed the staging, which had the actors coming down the aisles a few times and bringing us into the action. Scenes from the film, played behind the actors at certain key moments, drew a nice parallel between the two versions of the story. The intricate sets were also instrumental in pulling us in and out of different scenes, such as Mr. Gowar’s drug store, Bailey Building and Loan, and the Bailey family home. The antique phones and period clothing helped to locate the story in time, though I couldn’t help but wonder if anyone in the audience would be confused by Mary Bailey calling the operator and asking to be put through each time.

When George returns home after his alternate reality experience with Clarence, he doesn’t care about anything except seeing his wife and kids. Bert, the local police officer phones to say George is under arrest for the mixup with the $8,000, and all he can say is “that’s nice — have you seen Mary?”

This heartwarming, classic Christmas tale is sure to get you in the spirit of the season, and I’m glad it’s back for another run to remind us that appreciating what you have is more important than being upset about what you don’t.     

It’s a Wonderful Life is presented by the Arts Club Theatre Company from November 19 to December 26. For more information, visit artsclub.com.