SFU leads discussion on climate change

0
504
Tim Flannery is a noted author, lecturer, and advocate for taking on climate change. - Photo courtesy of AustralianOfTheYear

Tim Flannery, a professor at the University of Melbourne, recently unpacked the idea that substantial climate action is not only necessary, but absolutely possible.

On the night of Oct. 14, the Vancouver Playhouse hosted the lecture that doubled as a launch for Flannery’s new book, Atmosphere of Hope: Searching for Solutions to the Climate Crisis.

He shared his views on a relative inaction of the world after the Copenhagen Climate Council, and the enormous scale of humanity’s carbon emissions each year.

Over time, forest fires in his home country of Australia have dramatically increased in frequency and severity, and ocean acidification has lead to the widespread death of coral reefs he said.

Despite this, the overall message that Flannery wanted to convey was one of hope.

“Climate change now is a lived reality for people around the world,” said Flannery, speaking to the fact that climate change is a key issue in the current Canadian federal election.

He added that there has been an explosion of green technologies in the recent past. He gave the example of Carbon Engineering — a company based in Calgary — developing a capture method that draws carbon dioxide out of the air and compresses the gas for other uses.

“The fact that we’re seeing all of these announcements, these breakthroughs, gives me great hope,” Flannery said, adding that the minor energy efficiency upgrades that have been carried out in households across the world have also had a very positive effect on climate change.

Later, Andrea Reimer and Ross Beaty joined Flannery on stage after his lecture to discuss the reality of reconciling the economy with environmental initiatives. Reimer is a Vancouver City Counsellor, and has been celebrated for her role in the Greenest City Action Plan that led to Vancouver being named the fourth-greenest city on earth in 2014. Beaty is the Chairman of Pan American Silver Corp, but also has a history of involvement in renewable energy, having founded Magma Energy in 2008 in order to develop geothermal energy.

Shauna Sylvester, director of SFU’s Centre for Dialogue, led the three intellectuals in discussion, asking them probing questions about Vancouver’s response to climate change and how the economy will influence it.

Beaty commented that the social stigma building against carbon emitters will “withdraw their social license to operate.”

He also added later in the discussion that the decline of fossil fuel industries will be rapid, since there has been a dramatic reduction in cost of solar and wind power over the past decade.

Although many British Columbians may think of the provincial economy as resource-based, Reimer contended that there has been a transition. “We have learned to take knowledge, which is an infinitely renewable resource, and build our economy on it.” she said, explaining that among other industries, Vancouver has become a hub for art and technology. She also said that the perspectives of unconventional policy makers is invaluable, saying “We need people who won’t make very good politicians running for public office.”

When asked what he would say to the Prime Minister after Monday’s federal election, Flannery replied “Well, Mr. Mulcair. . .” to laughter and some cheers from the audience. Sylvester revealed an intimate part of Flannery’s relationship with the NDP, telling the audience that he was a pallbearer at Jack Layton’s funeral.

Flannery also revealed that former BC Premier Gordon Campbell told Flannery that his previous book, The Weather Makers, had persuaded him to adopt a carbon tax for British Columbia.

As a conclusion to the wide-ranging discussion, Sylvester asked for tangible ways that Vancouverites could influence climate change in their own lifestyles.

The three agreed that while individuals may not be able to make a huge impact themselves, their efforts are still absolutely necessary. Beaty said that everyone should “be that drop in a bucket,” Flannery adding, “Community leadership in this is extremely important.”