CJSF marks 12 years on FM dial

0
524

The Astoria on East Hastings Street was the place to be last weekend in celebration of CJSF’s 12-year anniversary of being on the FM airwave. With six bands blasting rock vibrations into the airspace, it was a surefire way to honour our very own community radio station on Burnaby mountain.

Walking upon the black and white checkered floors of the old Astoria pub, one can’t help but notice the charm that has been built up over the last century, with years of energy fostered from parties and music. Pinball machines and pool tables with dim lights set the scene for a lovable, grungy atmosphere to go with the gritty and alternative styles of music that were experienced throughout the night.

Free pizza was offered from CJSF at the start of the night, which paired well with the amiable staff and volunteers, not to mention the respectable selection of beer.

TV Ugly started the night off right, warming up the crowd with their rhythmic beat, as the audience grew thicker throughout their set.

Ace Martens touched a tender note, reminiscent of a rockabilly romance. The lead guitarist and vocalist sported a suit jacket and tie, while the drummer pulled back her hair looking as polished as Audrey Hepburn, transporting the crowd back in time to a ’50s prom night. They made a dramatic exit with the guitar being left on stage to ring out the concluding vibrations of the set.

Supermoon, an all-girl ensemble, was up next with a riot grrrl edge that would make their ’90s grunge mothers proud. One enthusiastic crowd member played along with them on his air guitar, revving the energy of the room up even more.

Malk didn’t disappoint playing with force and vigor. They would slow their tempo, capturing everyone’s attention, then dive in fast with aggressive riffs that got the adrenaline bolstered throughout the room.

Mi’ens took advantage of looping riffs to build upon their set, creating mesmerizing layers of drum and guitar. The mood of the room shifted to a meditative and contemplative state, allowing the jam style to leave the audience lost in the abyss of their subconscious.

But there was energy to spare as Adrian Teacher and the Subs endorsed the highest levels of energy with an in-your-face punk style. We found out just how far a cordless guitar can go as the lead guitarist hopped off stage mid-song checking out the bar, pin ball machines, and pool tables.

Ending on a sweet note, CJSF provided cake and announced winners of the raffle contest, where various band paraphernalia were awarded.

With such a great array of talent and diverse genres in sound, the night was an impressive success that can truly mark the CJSF as an accomplished group of staff and volunteers working together for the common love of community radio. If you missed this party, make sure you’re at the next, as it is guaranteed to have a special hand picked selection of Vancouver’s best home-brewed bands.