World Sexual Health Day enlightens SFU students

0
498
Photo courtesy of HuffingtonPost

SFU held a commemoration of the fourth annual Sexual Health Day at the SFU Segal Building in downtown Vancouver.

The event, which occurred on Friday, September 4, was organized by Roanne Millman and Jennifer Pink of SFU’s Close Relationships Lab. The event was well attended, despite this being the first event of its kind in Canada, with representatives from the BC Women’s Hospital, Men’s Health Initiative, and Vancouver Coastal Health, to name a few.

World Sexual Health Day is an international event founded by the World Association of Sexual Health (WAS) in 2010. The organization “promotes sexual health throughout human life spans all over the world by developing, promoting and supporting sexology and sexual rights for all.”

The day is now promoted in over 35 countries through dialogue, networking, and education about sexual health issues. SFU’s event was the first of its kind in Canada. This year’s theme was “Sexual Health for a Fairer Society.”

The event featured three speakers who were well-versed in sexual health issues. The first of the presenters was Lori Brotto who is, among many titles, an associate professor in UBC’s Department of Obstetrics/Gynaecology, as well as an Allied Staff Member in the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the Vancouver Acute Health Service Delivery Area.

The second speaker was Dorothy Shaw, the Vice President of Medical Affairs at BC Women’s Hospital, as well as a clinical professor in UBC’s Department of Obstetrics/Gynaecology.

The third was Shannon Griffin, RN and sexual clinician with the Men’s Health Initiative.

All three speakers tackled issues of sexual health and human rights, such as proposed new millennium development goals for gender equality — these include the promotion of sexual health and protection against sexual discrimination.

With the United Nations (UN) and many other advocates backing these changes, the dialogue at the Segal Building could not have come at a better time. This was highlighted by Shaw, who is an expert in global sexual health and the role of institutions like the UN in spearheading an effective strategy against practices such as female genital mutilation.

In an environment of free discussion, Brotto explained a new drug designed for women experiencing arousal dysfunction, much like Viagra for men. The drug, named Addyi or flibanserin, was recently approved by the FDA in the United States. In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Brotto said, “There is evidence to support those things — they’re just not medication.” She echoed these sentiments at the Segal Building, criticizing the oversimplification of a complex disorder with an “easy fix.” This led to a discussion about what constitutes female arousal on a mental and physical level.

Griffin explained her work with the Men’s Health Initiative and her insight into the questions, concerns, and misconceptions that men have about sexual health.

All in all, the event was a success on its inaugural run, according to co-organizer Jennifer Pink. She told The Peak that the group hopes to get World Sexual Health Day recognized as a national day of deliberation. For now, she is pleased with the first steps: “What is relevant to students is that this event raises discussions about sexual health and curiosity about these issues.”