Divine inspiration overflows in Godspell

0
594
Photo courtesy of David Cooper.

I was very eager to see this show when I read that it was by the composer of Wicked, one of my favourite musicals, but unfortunately it didn’t live up to my expectations. Perhaps it’s my lack of religious background, but I found the Christian references confusing and the lack of a cohesive plot difficult to overcome.

Set in Jerusalem Station, the multi-level stage featured a rainbow railway track and backdrop of video screens. While a train station is generally a transient place with people always coming and going, this group seemed quite content to stay in one place and get to know each other. The characters were also in rainbow colours, adorning accent pieces and changing shoes at the beginning of the show to represent their colour.

Jesus (Jennifer Copping) and the apostles seem to have a lot of fun playing charades, dancing, and acting out various scenes, but for some reason I just wasn’t moved by it. However, there were some very funny scenes where they managed to incorporate a Star Wars reference, and plenty of silly moments such as acting like flocks of sheep and goats.

There doesn’t seem to be an overarching plot to this show — instead, it’s made up of a series of short vignettes of each apostle teaching a lesson with the help of the others or, in one case, of an audience member. A large rope hangs down at stage right and they take turns pulling it to see which colour the video screens will land on and who will be up next to share some wisdom.

With main characters of Jesus and the apostles, it might seem like this show is all about religion, but director Sara-Jeanne Hosie explains in the program that it’s about community, and that the word “God” could be replace with “love” without changing the intent.

This group of characters seems to be representative of almost any community: a cop, student, waitress, vamp, busker, misfit, nomad, homeless man – and of course Judas and John the Baptist (the latter played by a young girl). Gender and ethnicity was not a consideration in casting, and the result is a highly talented group of performers who sing, dance, and act with equal ability.

Godspell is ultimately about faith, love, and the power of a strong community. The songs and messages shared by each of the characters are uplifting, and while I can’t say this is one of my favourite musicals, these performers confirmed that the theatre is a magical, divine place.

Godspell is presented by Arts Club Theatre Company at the Granville Island Stage June 18 to August 1. For more information, visit artsclub.com.