Africa is brought to life in The Lion King musical

0
927
Nia Holloway as Nala and Jelani Remy as Simba. Photo courtesy of Joan Marcus.

The spectacle that is The Lion King musical is a non-stop adventure of song, dance, acrobatics, and larger-than-life props.

The show remained within the bright technicolor tones of an African sunset, and a mood was instantly set that sent the entire audience on their own African safari. Pride rock, the elephant graveyard, and the tree of life demanded awe with their size and beautiful detail. The beauty and detail of the production and props reflects the world we all know and love that Disney brought to us in 1994.

The cast paraded around as everything from elephants to buzzards. Cheetahs slinked across the stage as giraffes strutted with pride. The show, much like Simba, could not be constrained by the boundaries of the pride lands. Throughout the performance the cast traveled into the shadow lands of the audience and explored the entirety of the theatre. Birds were soaring behind and above us as a hippo waddled past our seats. The costume designers deserve endless applause for not only their realism with animals, but also the gorgeous traditional fabrics and outfits.

The cast of The Lion King are the definition of triple threats. Every line, note, and step was delivered with the grace of a gazelle and the beauty of Mufasa in the stars. Young Simba and Nala will be played by multiple young tweens throughout the tour. The skill displayed by these youth showed they just can’t wait to be king — of Broadway. The roars of the veteran performers would impress even Zazou.

The pouncing and prowling of the show was both elegant and fierce. Every leap was like an antelope and every stomp was as strong as a rhino. The spacial awareness and elegance of the performance on such a cramped stage showed great experience and skill.

The production offers value to the entire family with classic adult humour strewn throughout in true Disney fashion, and the story stays true to the Disney film. Finally, the classic songs you love are there for you to sing along to — everything from “The Circle of Life” to “Hakuna Matata.”

The Lion King is presented by Broadway Across Canada at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. For more information, visit vancouver.broadway.com.