Predictions for the Champions League Finals

0
713
Photo courtesy of Eurosport

The upcoming Champions League Final on June 6 pits two vastly different teams against each other. Barcelona are the team with the high price players, paying €81 million for Luis Suarez and paying a reported €57.1 million for Neymar. Juventus have thrived on smart, frugal transfers, picking up Andrea Pirlo and Paul Pogba for free, and paying very little for outcasts like Carlos Tevez and Patrice Evra.

Barcelona’s path to the final was marked by dominance. They easily beat Manchester City, Paris St. Germain (PSG) and Bayern Munich on their way to the final, scoring five goals over two legs on both PSG and Bayern. They’ve won the La Liga title, beat Athletic Bilbao three to one during this year’s Copa Del Rey final, and will be looking to win the Champions League for the fourth time since 2006.

The attacking trio of Messi, Suarez, and Neymar have a combined 117 goals in all competitions, and are by far the best front three in world football. With a couple more years of production like this, we could be remembering them as the best of all time.

Five years ago, Juventus were a mid-table team in Serie A, struggling to qualify for the Europa League. Five years later, they are in the Champions League Final — a remarkable turnaround. This is mostly due to their shrewd business in the transfer market, such as picking up the aforementioned Paul Pogba on a free transfer from Manchester United.

Juventus were fortunate in their draws during the knockout stage, having to first face a slumping Borussia Dortmund squad and then a lackluster Monaco side. But their defeat of Real Madrid should leave no doubt that Juventus can once again compete against the European elite.

The key for Juventus in this match will be to shut down the front three of Barcelona. It’s easier said than done, but Juventus are one of the best defensive teams in Europe, and they have shown through this competition and domestically that they can limit their opposition’s chances.

Barcelona will most likely dominate possession for the majority of the match. They will have to be careful of the counterattack that Juventus will impose, as players Tevez and Morata looked very dangerous on the break against Real Madrid.
As a Juventus supporter myself, my heart says that they will be able to complete the treble, but my mind says that Barcelona are a cut above. If I was a betting man (which I am) I would not bet against Barcelona and their terrific attacking trio in this match.