University Briefs

0
370

Ryerson collects over $125,000 on student phone fees

Students living in residence at Ryerson University are required to pay $156 a year for an in-dorm phone line — a service that has become increasingly under-utilized.

Many students feel that this additional fee is an unnecessary financial burden, especially since most use their cell phones exclusively, rendering the landline service obsolete. The university collected $127,452 this year for providing these phone lines, which according to The Eyeopener are rarely used.

The director of student community life, Ian Crookshank, explained that any left over funds are used on other forms communication.

With files from The Eyeopener

TRU accidentally sends out over 400 acceptance letters

Over 400 letters of acceptance to Thompson Rivers University (TRU) were sent out in error on April 16. Only 103 of the 504 applicants who received acceptance letters to TRU’s nursing program for the Fall 2015 semester were legitimately accepted into the school.

TRU school of nursing dean Donna Murnaghan said, “We understand how awkward this situation is and how disappointed prospective students and their families may be. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this mistake may have caused.” 

With files from The Omega

University of Winnipeg introduces a Fall semester reading week

Students at U of W will be given some extra time off as the university introduces a second reading week to allow students more study time and to lower their stress levels.

The break will coincide with the Thanksgiving long weekend in October and will begin in Fall 2016. The university will ensure no academic days are lost, by starting classes a day early and shortening the break between the end of classes and exams.

The president of the university’s student association, Peyton Veitch, explained that the additional reading week will give students an opportunity to “recharge and decompress during a hectic time of year” and promoted a “holistic approach to mental health and wellness on campus.”

With files from CBC News