In the Heights is a soulful musical

0
555
Photo courtesy of David Cooper.

Nina Rosario (Kate Blackburn) returns to “el barrio” of Washington Heights after her first year at Stanford University, and her family and neighbours greet her with open arms. The only problem is that she has dropped out after losing her scholarship and doesn’t know how to let everyone know.

Full of catchy rap songs, sharp dancing, and plenty of Latino flavour, this Tony Award-winning musical will capture your heart with its soulful story.

Corner store owner Usnavi (Luc Roderique) introduces us to the neighbourhood with the opening musical number, and all the characters soon dance in the streets, setting the upbeat tone of this Dominican-American neighbourhood. Roderique captured the audience’s attention right away with his skilful rapping, and the whole cast came together with precise, well-defined movements.

Usnavi — whose name comes from his parents seeing “US Navy” on the side of a ship when they immigrated to America — wants to return to the Dominican Republic to visit his homeland, but he is struggling financially. Meanwhile, his precocious cousin encourages him to speak to Vanessa (Elena Juatco) who works at the nearby hair salon instead of just giving her free coffee.

The other salon workers provided some laughs as they gossiped about the neighbourhood, and Abuela Claudia (Sharon Crandall) provided the paciencia y fé (patience and faith) that everyone could use a little more of. Crandall’s portrayal of the lovable neighbourhood grandma was nuanced and genuine as she treated everyone as part of her family.

The main love interest in the show is between Nina and Benny (Chris Sams). They were childhood friends, and when Nina returns, they quickly become much more than that. Nina’s father (Francisco Trujillo) isn’t pleased because, although Benny works for his taxi company, he isn’t Latino. Her father decides to sell his business in order to pay for her to return to Stanford, leaving Benny unemployed, which causes strife among them all. The chemistry between Nina and Benny was very natural, and they both impressed with their strong vocal performances.

Struggling to figure out where she belongs, Nina’s character is relatable and sympathetic in an authentic way. This show was brimming with Latino humour, eye-catching dance moves, and characters that I wanted to get to know better.

In the Heights is presented by Arts Club Theatre Company April 30 to June 7 at the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage. For more information, visit artsclub.com.