Vancouver Fan Expo: In the Artists’ Alley with Jaime Gervais

0
1012
Photo courtesy of Jaime Gervais.
Photo courtesy of Jaime Gervais.
Photo courtesy of Jaime Gervais.

It’s Friday morning and Jaime Gervais rushes around to pack the last of her things. As she checks to make sure she has her business cards and twin banners with her, a wave of excitement envelops her. The North Vancouver native is off to the Vancouver Fan Expo, but this year will be different from every other.

After wrestling traffic, Jamie arrives and is lead into the convention centre just before the doors open to the rest of the fans. An exhilarating feeling hits her as she reaches her table. This year, she is not just a fan, but an exhibitor. For the first time, she will be selling her own artwork, and on the other side of the table.

While some would be nervous in her position, Jaime is absolutely ecstatic to share her art and meet new people. As she laughs and shares her story with me, it’s clear that she feels completely at home.

The Peak: What got you into art?

Gervais: I love sci-fi, fantasy — anything. So, I used to draw when I was, like, holding a crayon [as] a little girl. And now it’s sort of gone into painting and now digital painting. So anything sci-fi, fantasy, with a lot of color I’m happy.

P: What was the first drawing you ever made?

JG: Oh, mermaids! And unicorns and Pegasus — that was what I was all about. So much fun!

P: Is this your first comic convention?

JG: I’ve been to conventions, but this is the first time been here as an artist.

P: What made you made you want to become an Exhibitor?

JG: When you see everyone’s beautiful art and you want to get yours better and you actually want to be there. I saw myself here; I thought I would love to be here selling my own artwork to fans as well.

P: Do you hope to get into comics at some point?

JG: I’m actually focusing on TV. I’m working in television and eventually film. I’d love to work on a marvel [film]. Hint, hint!

P: Alright, so what’s your dream Marvel project?

JG: Avengers. One of them. There’s going to be so many movies from that — I’m just waiting until my time.

P: If you could take a stab at designing one character who would it be?

JG: Thor. I’d love to work on Thor [. . .] to do different designs for him. But it’s hard to choose; there are so many other characters I love too. I have a really big thing for Clark Gregg’s Agent Coulson. I love Coulson! But he doesn’t wear any outfits.

P: If you were to re-design Agent Coulson, what would you do?

JG: Probably armour like the Destroyer. I’d love to see him all badass in a mech.

For more information about Jaime Gervais and her art, visit jaimegervais.com