Laugh in the face of death with Famous Puppet Death Scenes

0
702
Photo courtesy of Jason Stang.
Photo courtesy of Jason Stang.
Photo courtesy of Jason Stang.

Not since the animated interludes of Monty Python have I seen something so brilliantly absurd.

The Old Trout Puppet Workshop has compiled the best death scenes from an imaginary repertoire of classic puppet theatre for Famous Puppet Death Scenes, and the show is a diverse collection covering various methods of death — most humorous, but some terribly moving.

Puppet host Nathaniel Tweak shares his love for these classic scenes, philosophizes on his own views of mortality, and implores the audience to “enjoy the evening’s entertainment as much as you can manage.”

From a strange German puppet duo named Bipsy and Mumu to the rendition of “Why Am I So Sad” by Sally, a quintessential young girl with terrible brothers, there is something for everyone in this show. The creators claim that the play will cure your fear of death, but instead I came away with a new perspective on the subject and what I feel is a better understanding of its nuances.

Most of the scenes were humorous and inspired uproars of laughter from the audience. One recurring character was the round-headed puppet of Nordo Frot’s The Feverish Heart, and he repeatedly met his demise by a giant fist coming down from above or bunting him offstage.

On the other hand, there were a couple of scenes that had the audience breathless, such as Lucile Arabesque, which featured an old woman puppet lying on a bed breathing very calmly and increasingly slowly until the breathing stopped altogether.

The artistry of the puppets and their settings was also very impressive. Many of the scenes, even if they only lasted a minute or two, featured intricately constructed sets and delicate props. One beautiful work of art was a chest that opened to become a scene of a ship rocking on the rough seas from The Ship of Faithlessness Founders.

Another impressive prop was a giant pop-up book that opened to reveal a scene of a farmhouse that grew closer with each page. The noise from inside the house also grew louder, and the final page was a door that the puppeteer anti-climactically decided not to open.

The artists behind the puppets manipulated them invisibly and convincingly as the audience wondered how the next one would meet their end.

Macabre, silly, profound, and ultimately cathartic, this is a unique work of puppet theatre that is worth some of the precious little time we have on this Earth.

Famous Puppet Death Scenes is presented by The Old Trout Puppet Workshop at the York Theatre from March 31 to April 19. For more information, visit thecultch.com.