Sister Judy is a powerful story of questioning one’s beliefs

0
491
Photo courtesy of David Cooper.

We all have our own personal belief system that guides us, gives us hope, and helps us navigate our lives. Judy (Jenny Wasko-Paterson), chose a lifestyle of celibacy and devotion to God as a nun, and her faith does not waver — until her past comes to visit.

While the subject matter of Catholicism may be alienating to audiences, I found the underlying themes strong enough that the characters shone through the framework.

Photo courtesy of David Cooper.
Photo courtesy of David Cooper.

Essentially, this is a story about identity, doubt, and regret. Judy is forced to reevaluate her choices and think about the path she chose in life, as her friend and fellow professor Frank begins to question his faith as well.

Frank (Mike Wasko), who has been a priest since he was 18, begins to wonder if celibacy is natural and yearns for personal connection and love with another human being.

It was a treat to see the chemistry between this husband-and-wife acting duo, as Frank and Judy shared a drink in Judy’s office for “Scotch Friday.” Frank confides in Judy and confesses that he knows there is more than friendship between them, but Judy remains steadfast in her determination to be a good nun.

Coupled with Frank’s questioning of his faith is Judy’s relationship with Ruth (Lili Beaudoin), a new student who shares her views about the Christ myth and its relation to Greek mythology. The two debate the topic fiercely, and it turns out that convincing Judy of her views is not Ruth’s only motive.

Shawn Macdonald’s play, which he describes as “a love story,” may be about struggling with the Catholic faith on the surface, but at its heart is a powerful story about the experience of questioning everything you believe in.

Sister Judy will be presented by the Arts Club Theatre Company on their Revue Stage from February 26 to March 21. For more information, visit artsclub.com.