Louis Riel House to close, deemed beyond repair

0
1160
Louis Riel House is the oldest residence on campus. - Talha Qadir
Louis Riel House is the oldest residence on campus. – Talha Qadir

SFU recently announced that Louis Riel House, the residence that primarily houses graduate students and families, will close at the end of August due to structural and air quality issues.

Current residents have been asked to vacate by that time. This has sparked an outcry from residents who are not eligible to apply for any other on-campus housing — most of which offers single-bed dorm rooms only — and must find alternative housing for themselves and their families.

After completing a full assessment of the condition of the building, SFU has deemed the structure beyond repair and has decided it must be torn down.

In a press release on March 10, the university wrote that “The wellbeing and safety of residents at Simon Fraser University is a top priority. Given ongoing concerns with the structure and indoor air quality at Louis Riel House Residence, and following a recent assessment [. . .] it is clear that the mechanical systems and building envelope are at the end of their service life.”

The release also stated that Louis Riel residents are an important part of the campus community, and that the university will continue to meet with and assist students and families as they develop next steps.

Concerns about the general upkeep of the residence have been expressed over the past several years, but it wasn’t until last September that SFU began a thorough inspection of individual units and common spaces in Louis Riel to address issues with black mould.

In an online update, the university stated, “The assessment identified a number of moisture sources which are resulting in damaged building materials, fungal contamination and reduced indoor air quality.”

During the inspection process, 39 residents were relocated to alternate housing on campus due to health risks in their units.

Several Louis Riel residents have protested the closure throughout the process and held a press conference on the morning of March 10 following the announcement.

At this conference, Louis Riel resident Teresa Dettling said that, had she known about the issues in the building, she would have thought twice about moving in. “We were all lied to about the condition of the building before we took possession of our apartments,” she said.

Many of Dettling’s neighbours expressed concerns about how they are going to finish their education if there is no place for them or their families on campus. SFU Residence and Housing has communicated its intentions of “reviewing its housing plan for the future” and to meet the need for family housing, but has offered no immediate solution.

All the residents of the condemned building were invited to a closed town hall meeting later that evening to have their questions and concerns addressed. Security was present outside Shell House where the meeting took place. Dettling stated that their presence was an “intimidation tactic” on the part of the administration.

Dettling approached the Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS) board at its meeting on March 11 on behalf of the Louis Riel Community Association to ask for the society’s support.

She explained that she and fellow residents are looking to be relocated to other housing on campus — something the university has not promised to accommodate — as well as to request that SFU incorporate low-income housing into future residence projects.

“Any type of pressure you could put on the university [. . .] would be extremely helpful to us,” she said.

SFSS President Chardaye Bueckert advocated for assisting Dettling’s group and moved a motion to that effect. The society agreed to endorse their declaration and to support them “as required and requested.”

“If the SFSS is not in favour of affordable family housing on campus, I don’t know why we’re here,” said Bueckert.

The Louis Riel Community Association will be holding a rally on Wednesday, March 18 in Freedom Square next to Convo Mall to stop the “displacement” of Louis Riel’s students and families.