Elections escalate with candidate debates

0
467
Students flocked to the presidential debate on Wednesday, which got particularly heated. - Leah Bjornson
Students flocked to the presidential debate on Wednesday, which got particularly heated. – Leah Bjornson

They laughed, they cried, they debated important student issues. Emotions and energy ran high at the four 2015 SFSS Elections debates held during this year’s campaigning period.

Candidates participated in four rigorous debates at SFU’s Surrey, Vancouver, and Burnaby campuses over the past week and a half. Each of the debates lasted on average five hours, but candidates managed to keep their spirits up throughout them all.

At-large and faculty representative candidates engaged in three of the four debates, where they discussed issues related to their respective faculties; or, in the case of at-large reps, the entire membership.

Tensions reached an all-time high at the Burnaby executive candidate debates last Wednesday, where presidential candidates challenged each other, bared their souls, and even formed some friendships.

Presidential candidates Johnny Aether (LAN Party) and Enoch Weng both spoke about wanting to change the negative associations students have with the SFSS. Weng asserted that the political atmosphere of the society was “alienating” to students, while Aether shared his dismay at how often he hears people use the word “hate” when discussing the society.

Our cowboy candidate for president, Erik Hadekaer (S.P.A.D.E.S.), pushed his Taco Tuesday agenda at all the debates he attended, as well as transparency and governance reform.

Candidate Zied Masmoudi (REAL) stated that the board needs to reevaluate its mission: “One of my main priorities would be to set a goal for the society.”

The mood in the room shifted when candidate Kayode Fatoba (SCHOOL SPIRIT) was challenged by members, directors of the board, and staff on numerous accounts for self-promotion with society resources, disrespecting staff, and absenteeism.

Fatoba, who is also the current VP Student Life, was accused of billing for meetings he had missed. Current Business representative Shadnam Khan then tweeted out pictures of Fatoba’s timesheets and the meeting minutes, which showed that he had been absent.

In response, Fatoba explained that he receives a volunteer stipend for extensive volunteer work, and may not always record it diligently. He became visibly upset when asked to speak to his personal failures. “I’m not here because I want to [be]. I’m here because other people believed in me,” he said.

One of the highlights came when a young girl who identified herself as a “future SFU student” asked the candidates what legacy they planned to leave behind for her. Aether replied that he wanted to take the society back to its “radical roots” and increase its advocacy efforts.

University relations candidate Brady Wallace (REAL) spoke to different student issues that would require liaising with the university, such as the closure of Louis Riel House. His opponent, Ali Najaf (SCHOOL SPIRIT), declined to comment on the matter as he has been working with SFU Residence and Housing on this issue.

However, Najaf asserted that he would side with the student body when in conflict with the administration.

To break up each of the debates, current board members advocated for two levy-related referendum questions that would reallocate funds to grow the food bank program and to increase the society’s financial flexibility by moving more money into the general fund.

VP Student Life candidates engaged in some particularly heated debates. In Burnaby, almost immediately, candidate Deepak Sharma (REAL) asked his opponent, Hassan Liaquat (SCHOOL SPIRIT), why he thought he was the best candidate considering his perceived lack of knowledge. Liaquat responded, “I’ve done my research, I know how to represent students.”

The room stepped into another era for a moment, as VP Finance candidate Karan Thakur and both Student Services candidates criticized the paper timesheet system utilized by the board to log their hours. “We’re not in the ’90s,” Thakur said.

Issues related to communication and technology were discussed during the VP Student Services debate. Both candidates, Shery Alam and Darwin Binesh, raised their concerns that the SFSS does not effectively communicate with the membership.

One pillar of Binesh’s platform is his plan to improve IT for the society and create an electronic database to keep track of members. He stated, “It’s 2015 and we push paper. A lot of paper. It’s absurd!”

In some of the friendliest debates of the season, VP External candidates discussed matters of advocacy, such as Louis Riel House, transit, and the Open Textbook campaign.

External Relations candidate Arjan Mundy said, “Anybody running for this [opportunity] would do a good job.”

With the debates finished, candidates have until midnight on Monday, March 23 to campaign for students’ votes. Students can vote online using their SFU Connect accounts from March 24 to 26.