Voters must realize that TransLink is not on the transit plebiscite

0
511
Image Credit: Talha Qadir
Image Credit: Talha Qadir
Image Credit: Talha Qadir

As you are probably already aware, the transportation funding plebiscite is fast approaching and both sides of the debate are actively trying to win your vote. The ‘no’ side, championed by the Canadian Taxpayer’s Federation (CTF), has arguably been the more vocal side, but it is important to consider what they have to say with a healthy dose of skepticism. 

There is one point in particular that the CTF has decided to dwell on: the question of TransLink, its management, and perceived waste. The ‘no’ side wants you to believe that a ‘no’ vote on this plebiscite will send a message to the provincial leaders that you are unhappy with TransLink, as a company, and want to see a change in their leadership or structure.

It will not.

The purpose of this plebiscite is very clear, and the voting options are very simple. We have the opportunity to approve or disapprove of a new funding source for regional transportation projects — specifically, the projects outlined in the Mayors’ Council Plan. The vote is a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no.’ If you agree that the projects will benefit the region and agree with the funding proposal, then vote ‘yes.’  If you’re absolutely sure that you don’t agree with the funding source, then you should probably vote ‘no.’

The CTF and their cronies have attempted to hijack this vote.

In no way, shape, or form is this vote about TransLink’s governance structure, management, or responsibilities. After all, the provincial government leaders aren’t mind readers, and despite what the CTF would like you to think, there simply isn’t a way a ‘no’ vote can be interpreted as a ‘yes to transit, but no to TransLink.’  It’s a completely ludicrous idea; you can bet your bottom dollar that a ‘no’ vote will be interpreted as a big fat no to transportation projects. 

The CTF and their cronies have attempted to hijack this vote and deflect public debate onto the agency in charge, instead of the real debate on the projects and their funding source.

Still unsure of how you’re going to vote? Here are few more facts to persuade you: once this funding source is secured, it is guaranteed (or as close to guaranteed as you can get) to be spent on transportation projects. 

It really is a damn good deal.  For a small 0.5 per cent increase in the PST, our fair city will get more than 30 kilometres of new rapid rail transit, a 25 per cent increase in bus service, 2,700 kilometres of bikeways, and a new Pattullo bridge.

That’s not much for what will certainly be a world-class transportation system, which our region desperately needs. The nice thing about this plan is that it offers something for literally every region within Metro Vancouver, and for all transportation modes. Everyone will benefit, whether they take transit or not.

So in the next month or two, get registered to vote, make sure you do your research about the projects and funding source, and finally: vote! Just remember what you are actually voting for.