Lorne Davies, founding SFU athletic director, dies at 84

0
686
Photo courtesy of SFU Athletics
Photo courtesy of SFU Athletics
Photo courtesy of SFU Athletics

Lorne Davies, SFU’s first athletic director and inaugural football coach, passed away last night in St. Paul’s hospital from illness related to his heart and kidneys.

“Lorne meant everything to SFU athletics — it was his life’s work,” said Milton Richards, SFU’s senior director of athletics and recreation in a statement by SFU Athletics. “We will forever carry his spirit in our hearts every time our student athletes put on the Clan uniform to enter competition.

Davies was picked to head SFU’s athletics program during the school’s inaugural year by chancellor Gordon Shrum, a position he held for 30 years until 1995. Davies was instrumental in making SFU the first Canadian university in the NAIA, which allowed Canadian athletes to stay in Canada but compete against American competition. It also enabled the school to hire full-time coaches and offer athletics scholarships at a time when Canadian universities did not typically allow it.

Davies also chose the original Clan colours — blue, red, and white — and said they represented loyalty, courage, and honesty, respectfully. “Our crest will always be a tribute to Lorne, his values, and his vision,” commented Richards.

As head football coach, Davies led the SFU football team for its first eight years and achieved a 34–21–1 record and .616 winning percentage.

He also spent six years as a special assistant coach to the BC Lions.

Davies was to be recognized in April with the SFU Distinguished Community Leadership Award, which recognizes individuals for distinguished community service and impact on the community.

Davies is survived by his wife of over 60 years, June, and his two sons, Lorne Jr. and Glyn.