Backstreet’s back in a new documentary

0
913
Photo courtesy of Frederic J. Brown / Getty Images

At the turn of the millennium, the Backstreet Boys were one of the biggest bands on the planet. They sold millions of albums, toured non-stop, and broke record after record. A lot has changed since then, and this documentary shows the Backstreet Boys at their most vulnerable. It’s a personal, intimate portrayal that gives an inside look into the formation of the group, their individual struggles, and where they are now.

After Kevin Richardson re-joined the group in 2012 (he had quit in 2006), they went to London to write and record their first independent album, 2013’s In a World Like This, and they brought the film crew with them. It was a treat to be let in on their writing and recording process, and to see their personal relationships with each other.

Chronicling their story from the early days of the band and how they were formed by Lou Pearlman up to the present day, the film is a mix of old and new footage that gives a comprehensive overview of their story.

They visit the warehouse in Orlando where it all began — where the group would rehearse for long hours and dream of making it big. The footage of these early rehearsals and their high school performances is peppered with interviews and each of them sharing their thoughts and feelings about those days. It’s funny to hear them admit that when they played a free high school show and girls screamed, they thought they were rock stars.

Reflecting on their pasts and their bonds with each other, the film follows the members as they make trips to each other’s hometowns to learn a bit more about where they all came from. They all admit that, though they spent years together, there were many things left unsaid and they didn’t always share their pasts or family lives with the group.

Kevin takes them to his family home Kentucky, a camp where he grew up, and he recounts the difficult experience of returning home to see his father’s final days. Brian takes the group to the church where he used to sing his heart out; Nick shows them his childhood home in Tampa and visits his elementary school; A.J. visits the church where he used to perform and practice his acting monologues. Back in Orlando, they visit Howie’s family home, where they used to hang out together before they made it big.

The guys also talk a lot about manager Lou Pearlman’s betrayals. He not only formed their number one competition, N’Sync, but he swindled them out of millions of dollars. Now that he is out of their lives, they describe the immense freedom of being able to make a record on their own terms and create music that they can be proud of for themselves and their fans. This film is a perfect mix of past and present, with plenty of nostalgia for fans of this enduring boy band.

Show ’Em What You’re Made Of is now playing in select theatres and is available on VOD and itunes. For more information, visit backstreetboys.com.