Ask Professor Peak

0
447

Are you an SFU student or faculty member who needs some relationship, student, or SFU related advice? In 150 words or less, send your issues anonymously by visiting the-peak.ca/professorpeak. Your entry could be published in our next issue, along with some helpful advice from Professor Peak!

Help! The N-word in the songs I like singing to are destroying my karaoke nights!

DEAR PROFESSOR PEAK: My friends from residence and I have taken up weekly karaoke nights and I need your advice: a lot of the songs I gravitate towards feature the N-word, sometimes prominently. This word makes me feel uncomfortable; while I enjoy the songs, I find the lyrics distasteful. I’m upset that the karaoke bar doesn’t include the radio-edited versions of songs in their lists. What should I do when these parts come up? Should I self-censor myself? Should I try to remember that it’s just a song and I’m not the one who wrote it? —ANGRY STUDENT

DEAR ANGRY: First off, props for having a weekly karaoke night with your friends! This fact alone already makes you way cooler than most people. In regards to your concerns, I think the suitable option for you would be to replace the words you feel uncomfortable saying with similar-sounding alternatives. For example, I have in the past used the word “nickel” in place of the n-word when singing songs. You could also use words like “nipple,” “nymph,” and “needle.” In fact, these alternate words could make for a highly entertaining and humourous karaoke night. If your friends are upset because you’ve chosen to use these alternatives, just calmly explain to them your concerns, and keep up the great tunes! —PROFESSOR PEAK