Just a Gent wows Vancouver crowd on international tour

0
495

With almost 50,000 followers on Soundcloud, and almost two million plays of his official remix of “Best Day of My Life” by the American Authors, Just A Gent is going places fast. Currently on his international Stories To Tell Tour, this 17-year-old DJ from Newcastle, Australia is making a name for himself around the world.

In an interview with The Peak, Just a Gent described his live performances as eclectic, but directional. He said, “Basically, I like to take them on a journey — a progression through the whole set. I play a lot of classic tunes in the mix, and a lot of unreleased music, it’s really ranged, but it’s still got a formula to it.”

But why the stage name? Just A Gent explained a little about his backstory, saying, “A few mates and myself used to go to parties dressed up as gentlemen, and we called ourselves ‘The Gents’ . . . it kind of evolved from my friendships.”

As to how he became a DJ, he said, “I was trying to be like my cousin. When I was 10, I DJ-ed my first ever gig, and it was for a group of disabled people for their Halloween party. It was fun, they made me sing Lady Gaga into the microphone.”

His Stories To Tell Tour has been extremely exciting and difficult for the young DJ. He described the constant travelling: “It’s fun, it’s tough though. It’s so hard, doing these late gigs then waking up so early to catch a flight, and then travel. I always end up getting sick when I tour — I call it ‘The Tour Cold.’”

For fans of Just a Gent, the year’s end will bring very exciting news. “I have an EP coming out soon, by the end of this year. It’s one of the funnest things I’ve ever done musically, and the fact that it’s my own originals as well is awesome . . . you kind of have more of a proud feeling.” His passion for his work was truly evident in the interview, as he stated “It’s good to be doing what I’ve always wanted to do — I’m only 17.”

I had the chance to watch his performance at Celebrities Nightclub on October 28. His set started with an amazing remix of “Phantom of the Opera,” a personal favourite of mine. Just A Gent truly lived up to his name in a suit, top hat, and bow tie. The crowd seemed to be overtaken by the music; it seemed to have a life force of it’s own.

He read the crowd extremely well, knowing how to make bodies move on the dance floor. His transitions were varied, but excellent, rarely losing momentum. I heard numerous people in the crowd asking about the DJ, and where they could find his music.

Every so often, he would physically engage the audience, creating a connection to the crowd. At one point, he took the microphone and said, “I’m only 17 years old and I get to tour the world, it’s pretty awesome.”

At the end of the set, he played new mixes from his upcoming EP. The music was great, showing the amazing promise this young DJ has in store.

For more information about Just a Gent, visit soundcloud.com/just-a-gent.