Broken Sex Doll returns to The Cultch

0
934

A smash hit in 2013, Broken Sex Doll returned to The Cultch for another phenomenal run this November. A sexy, hilarious ride from start to finish, this musical breaks down conventional theatre with brilliant irreverence.

The writer and director of this “sci-fi musical sex comedy,” Andy Thompson, spoke to The Peak about the show’s creation and its latest revival. Founder of the theatre company The Virtual Stage, Andy also directed the The Zombie Syndrome and Cruel & Unusual.

Andy explained that in 2011, The Virtual Stage was invited to participate in Theatre Under The Gun, a challenge to create a theatre piece using limited resources to prompt inspiration and the imagination. Andy described their inspiration material: “[It was] an essay, and the essay had a description of a futuristic world in which people could record and exchange their actual sensory experiences.”

He brought this concept to life in 2011 with a short version of the musical, but it was not until 2013 that the full length Broken Sex Doll debuted. Thompson describes the piece as an examination of the current trend of “advancing technology at an unparalleled rate, and the other flip side, where the human race is at socially, morally, ethically, and how these things are not advancing at the same rate.”

Discussing the controversies around Broken Sex Doll, Andy said, “I think I understand feminism, but the feminist reaction is split,” as he explained that some love the show and some leave offended. Andy stated that this is due to how he addresses patriarchy in the show.

“I am taking misogyny and going further with it. Men being in control is the normal,” explained Thompson. The show makes this statement with an intriguing use of symbolism: “Women get tossed in the trash, men are looking at women in society as goods and chattel, not people. The sex dolls are a symbol of that,” he said.

Despite the mixed reactions to the symbolism of the show, I found the musical to be a wonderful allegory for the struggle women face to find equality.

However, the main attraction of this production is its grandiosity. Interesting staging, mesmerizing audio-visual effects, stunning musical numbers, and an impressive cast created an awe-inspiring musical. The plot and dialogue took the audience on a ridiculously hilarious journey through a sex and technology crazed world.

Chelsea Rose Tucker who plays Ginger, the star of Broken Sex Doll, said that being in the musical has been “amazing, scary, and just the most fun I’ve ever had!”  Her performance was absolutely stellar, and she shared excellent chemistry with co-star Benjamin Elliot.

In all, this production was absolutely hilarious, deliciously entertaining, and an amazing way to spend an evening. It questioned society, creating an engaging and wonderful commentary on stage. Broken Sex Doll is a triumph for The Virtual Stage and all those involved. It’s truly successful in it’s goal to make the audience laugh.