Top ten horror films of the last decade

0
794

10. The Innkeepers (2011)

Two hotel employees attempt to record evidence of the ghost of Madeline O’Malley, a woman whose ghost haunts the the inn. This movie is unique in that it plays with expectations of the horror genre in fascinating, frustrating ways that amp up tension. It leaves you anxious, and always on edge — like good horror should.

9. The Descent (2005)

Six women explore an unmapped cave system in a film that draws on one of our most basic fears: the dark. The film is a claustrophobic, anxious ride that is pretty brutal as well. It’s not for the faint of heart.

8. Let the Right One In (2008)

A bullied child befriends a young vampire in this surprisingly sweet, but also frightening film. It’s a perfect balancing act of tone, not just a great horror film, but one of the best films of the last 10 years period.

7. The Awakening (2011)

A mythbuster in 1921 Britain  is called into an all boy’s boarding house to disprove the children’s belief that a ghost lives there. A very old fashioned story reminiscent of some of Hollywood’s older horror films, a lot of time is dedicated to building up a bleak tone and racking up tension.

6. You’re Next (2011)

This is a slasher with a twist: instead of a group of sexy teens being killed off one by one, it’s a family at a reunion at their large summer home. While family tensions cause drama at dinner, soon they must band together as they are picked off one at a time. It will leave you guessing at who’s next and whose faces are behind the killers’ creepy animal masks.

5. Eden Lake (2008)

A couple attempt to camp in the English countryside and are terrorized by a group of young British hoodlums. While they start with some basic harassment and vandalism, the teenagers’ psychotic leader slowly starts to become violent with the couple. While not a traditional scary movie, it will leave you tense and ultimately horrified.

4. House of The Devil (2009)

Set in the 1980’s, a babysitter is recruited out of college to take care of an ailing elderly woman who lives in a decrepit, old house. While the plot may sound basic, the film jumps between subgenres of horror with glorious abandon, featuring satanic cults, haunted houses, slashers, and a great ’80s soundtrack.

3. V/H/S (2012)

This is an anthology film that features six creepy, inventive horror shorts, each helmed by a different director. While they fluctuate slightly in quality, they all offer something new to this often stale genre and are more than worth checking out.

2. REC. (2007)

A reporter is quarantined inside an apartment building infected with a zombie-like virus. The discovered-footage style of the film is used to great effect, racking up tension and giving the viewer the terrifying point of view of the reporter. Bloody and relentless, the scares come fast and never stop.

1. Oculus (2014)

Mixing flashbacks with the present day, a brother and sister attempt to understand what really happened when their father murdered their mother 11 years ago, seemingly under the influence of a supernatural mirror. The film effectively blurs lines of reality, time, and perspective. It’s a real mind bender that will leave you with a sick feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach.