Sports Briefs

0
430

Cross-Country

The Clan men’s and women’s cross-country teams competed at the 41st Annual Western Washington University Classic on Saturday in Bellingham, WA.

Swim Team

The SFU swim teams defeated the University of Puget Sound Loggers in their first meet. The men’s team won by a score of 159-91 and women’s team won 170-81. They combined to win 27 out of the 28 events. Dimitar Ivanov and Lucas Greenough led the men’s team with 18 points, along with freshmen Adrian VanderHelm, Tim Woinoski and Gabriel Lee, while on the women’s team, Alexandria Schofield, Nicole Cossey, Grace Ni and Megan Barrack led with 18 points. The Clan swim next against the University of Pacific Tigers in Stockton, CA on Friday, October 24.

GNAC Honour

Middle linebacker Jordan Herdman was named the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) defensive football athlete of the week for the week of September 29-October 5. He leads the GNAC with 60 tackles and averages 12 per game, which places him 12th nationally. Against Dixie State, Herdman recorded 10 tackles and forced a fumble leading to an SFU touchdown.

Women’s Soccer

The SFU women’s soccer team lost 3-1 against the Saint Martin’s University (SMU) Saints on Thursday. SMU scored first, but 10:43 in, midfielder Sierra Leung scored her second goal of the season to tie the game. The game would remain tied until the 75th minute, when the Saints scored twice, taking the victory. Goalkeeper Priya Sandhu had four saves.

Volleyball

Clan volleyball swept the SMU Saints in Lacey, WA Thursday, in their second straight win. Despite the Saints claiming the first point of the night, SFU handily won the first set 25-11, which included an eight-point streak for the Clan. The next two sets were closer, with SFU winning 25-21 and 26-24. Senior Amanda Renkema led the Clan with 11 kills, while libero Alison McKay led the team defensively with 20 digs. Outside hitter Kelsey Robinson also provided 16 digs.

Men’s Soccer

SFU Men’s Soccer returned to winning ways Thursday shutting out the South Dakota School of Mines (SDSM) 3-0 in Rapid City, SD. Captain Jovan Blagojevic notched two goals, while forward Mateo Espinosa opened the scoring with his first goal of the season. Espinosa would end the night with two points, as he assisted Blagojevic on his first goal. Ryan Dhillon would also notch an assist.

With files from SFU Athletics and GNAC Sports