SFU women’s wrestling strong-arm their way to success

0
596
SFU Wrestling will host the Clan International.

The SFU women’s wrestling enters the 2014/15 season looking to improve upon their last season, in which four Clan members were named Women’s Collegiate Wrestling Association (WCWA) champions in their respective weight classes.

The team is currently ranked sixth in the WCWA; having finished their 2013/14 season second at the WCWA National Duals, and third overall as a team at the WCWA Individual Nationals.

Returning to the lineup will be: junior Darby Huckle, 103 lbs; senior Nikkie Brar, 116 lbs; sophomore Maegan Kuruvita, 143 lbs; senior Bailey Halvorson, 155 lbs; and junior Monika Podgorski, 170 lbs.

After suffering a knee injury early last season, Halvorson — among the returners in their last year at SFU — is ready to get back to competing for the Clan: “It feels great to finally be able to compete after undergoing surgery on my knee so early last year. I am very excited for this season, and the WCWA Individual Nationals, where I plan to compete for the gold medal at 143 lbs.”

Also entering her senior year is Nikkie Brar, whose goals for the season are to “beat Oklahoma City in every dual we wrestle them, [. . .] win the WCWA Individual Nationals at 116 lbs, and improve on my third place finish from last year.”

As a team, women’s wrestling have their sights set on winning the WCWA National Duals, which will be held January 10-12.

SFU returns to the mats October 25 and 26, when they travel to Oklahoma City, OK to compete at the Cliff Keen Duals hosted by Oklahoma City University (OCU). Last season, the Clan placed second at this dual tournament, after dropping the final dual to King’s University.

The team will then continue their season the following weekend as SFU wrestling hosts the annual Clan International at home in the West Gym on Saturday, November 1.

“[SFU] has been hosting the Clan [International] for [around] three years, for the men and the women, and it’s an excellent blend of talent from all over North America,” Justin Abdou, the head coach of the men’s team, said. “We have had several Olympians and World Champions wrestle [here] in previous years, with future Olympians competing each year, [. . .] it’s a high caliber tournament worth watching.”

Also competing in the Clan International is the SFU men’s wrestling team, who open their season at home, before they start their busy collegiate season.