Clan crushed in Division I matchup

0
412

After notching their first victory of the season, SFU had a break from conference play. Unfortunately, that break was in the form of a game against a Division I opponent where they were soundly defeated 66-14.

The Clan travelled to Pocatello, ID to face the Idaho State Bengals (ISU) of the Big Sky Conference of Division I FCS, who were 2-3 going into the game. Backup quarterback Tyler Nickel once again had the start.

SFU got off to a seemingly good start with the opening kick return, when running back Earl Anderson managed a 60-yard return to the ISU 33-yard line. However, a holding penalty eliminated much of that yardage — 57 yards to be exact — putting the Clan at their own 10-yard line. This was the start of a long game for SFU.

In their first drive, SFU could only manage five yards. The Bengals punished them swiftly just over a minute later, with ISU running back Xavier Finley rushing 20 yards for a touchdown — the first of many.

The next drive proved slightly more fruitful for the Clan; they notched 34 yards total, 28 of them from a pass to wide receiver Lemar Durant who had 94 yards receiving in the game. This proved to be SFU’s best showing in the half; however, they did not manage to convert for points.

ISU continued their dominance, scoring on their next drive. The Bengals scored a touchdown on all but one of their drives in the first quarter, ending the quarter 21-0.

The second quarter did not treat the Clan much better, with the Bengals scoring three more touchdowns to take a commanding 42-0 lead.

Bright spots emerged for SFU, though, with the Clan holding two Bengal drives to only four plays, as well as achieving two drives with relatively good movement, gaining 22 and 32 yards during each. However, they still could not find their way onto the scoreboard.

SFU managed a better second half, however, eventually putting up some points.

The Clan started the third quarter by holding the Bengals to another four-play drive. Unfortunately ISU came out swinging in their next drive, reaching the goal line. The Bengals fumbled the ball, though, which SFU recovered to prevent a scoring play.

A subsequent fumble by Cole Tudor, however, gave ISU their next touchdown, taking the score to 49-0. For the rest of the quarter, SFU allowed only a field goal, and set themselves up for a solid fourth quarter.

Quarterback Ryan Stanford, who was put into the game after halftime, led a 75-yard drive for the Clan which ended with SFU’s first touchdown: a 25-yard pass to redshirt freshman Justin Buren.

SFU notched another touchdown with another 75 yard drive later in the quarter, fuelled by a 41-yard pass caught by Buren.

ISU responded to both drives with a touchdown of their own, off of 69- and 72-yard rushes by Bengal running back Jakori Ford, before capping the game with a field goal.

Among the highlights of the game for SFU were middle linebacker Jordan Herdman’s team high 17 tackles and Buren’s 92 receiving yards. Stanford also threw a respectable 190 yards, going 16 of 22.