Coffee, Tragedy, History: Forty Ninth Parallel

0
515

Coffee and a good donut: A beautiful combination. The only problem with this pairing, however, is that so many of the places that make great donuts don’t make very good coffee and vice versa. Forty Ninth Parallel is the solution to that problem.

The atmosphere of the Main street cafe is just toeing the line of feeling like a warehouse, but they pull it off. The exposed brick, rugged wooden beams, and muted metal piping combined with the sleek glass and finished wood surfaces give a sophisticated and modern look to the cafe. The overall effect on the inside is very comforting and very much a part of the experience that keeps me coming back.

At the 4th Avenue location, wood grain peeks out from behind patchy teal paint, weathered window sills and faded colours recall someone who spends an hour each morning styling their hair to look like they just got up, but it works. Both locations provide an enjoyable experience and the quality of the goods is the same at either cafe.

At Forty Ninth Parallel, they take their coffee very seriously. Various roasts and blends are available, the brewed coffee is characterful and rich and the specialty drinks are made with the utmost care. Their cup of coffee is not the cheapest in Vancouver, but it is one of my favourites around town and a surefire solution to the pounding headache I get if I’m jonesing for another cup of java.

At Forty Ninth Parallel you can get a wide variety of donuts and other sweet confections to satiate that aching sweet tooth. Choices range from classic glazed, to peanut butter and jam, to maple bacon (with actual pieces of bacon sprinkled on top). Regardless of my own disdain for that last option, the donuts are truly delightful. I recommend the Classic Cinnamon, which is reminiscent of the classic fairground mini donuts.

Forty Ninth Parallel unfortunately does not support the arts much other than providing a quiet place for artists to work away from home. There are, however, various coffee related events open to the community, such as coffee tastings and other informational events that show customers the process (bean sourcing and roasting) behind the coffee.

The cafe is the offspring of two companies. The donuts are made by the locally based Lucky’s Donuts while the coffee is made by Forty Ninth Parallel Coffee Roasters. Together these companies create the perfect cafe experience. In fact, the cafe was recently awarded the title of Best Coffee House by Vancouver Magazine. Great Coffee. Great Donuts. Forty Ninth Parallel is everything a certain Canadian donut chain wishes it was and more.

Forty Ninth Parallel is located at 2902 Main Street and 2198 West 4th Avenue in Vancouver.