Coffee, Tragedy, History: Café Deux Soleils

0
484

Hip-hop plays over the loudspeakers, the smell of garlic, onions, and coffee hangs heavy in the air, and a mustachioed chef dances as he cooks. Café Deux Soleils has been a fixture on Commercial Drive for as long as I can remember. It has been around for over 20 years, and it is very much a part of the community that comes to mind when I hear “The Drive.” 

The furnishings are simple, but still pleasing to the eye. Large chalkboards display the menu. Long wooden tables sit in one corner, booths and individual tables in the other, allowing for privacy or for a more communal seating arrangement. Paintings by local artists checker the walls and a labyrinth of twisting air ducts and pipes hum on the ceiling, drowned out only by loud, hip music and conversation. 

The atmosphere certainly caters to those in their 20s, though younger and older patrons are not only welcomed, but encouraged. The stage sometimes serves as a play place for children during the daytime, allowing beleaguered parents to sit down to a meal in peace.

Café Deux Soleils is open from 8:00 a.m. to midnight on weekdays and the menu reflects that. Breakfast items are available until 3:00 p.m. with lunch and dinner served after. All dishes are vegetarian with vegan options available. The food ranges from classic egg and potato dishes in the mornings to vegetarian burgers and wraps later on. 

Coffee, tea, and beer are readily available. The prices are moderate, not cheap, but the food is well worth it — the chili, Jemlettes (omelets) and smoothies being items of note. They also do a mean hot chocolate for those too young (or young at heart) to have coffee and beer.

Café Deux Soleils has always been a staunch supporter of the arts. Paintings by local artists are often on display, there is slam poetry on Monday nights, improv by The Fictionals on Tuesday nights, and there are weekly open mic nights on Thursdays. 

Various other events are hosted and all kinds of art can be seen here. If you like good food, coffee, and art, then Café Deux Soleils is the place for you — all three are available in copious amounts. Not only that, but it offers an accessible and vibrant venue for aspiring artists to make their debut. 

It is more than a café: it provides a great spot for breakfast, lunch, and dinner or for a fun night out, and it will always remain one of my favourite places on Commercial Drive.