Wedding cancelled after bride-to-be unexpectedly gets off at Sapperton

0
412

NEW WESTMINSTER – A local man has put an end to his upcoming wedding ceremony after his future bride got off transit three stops earlier than he had predicted.

Marc Turner, a 24-year old SFU student, claims he was all set to spend the rest of his life with a girl he described as “his future wife” before having to call it off at the last minute.

“When I got on at Columbia, I just knew she was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with,” Turner explained about the moment they met, roughly two minutes prior to their tumultuous parting. “I don’t know if I’d call it love-at-first-sight, but after my second glance I started planning our kids’ names.”

Turner said that in those first 30 seconds everything was perfect and he couldn’t foresee any possible way they would ever be apart again.

“There were two empty seats on the entire train and she chose to sit next to me, so I got the message, that she loved me too, right away,” Turner remembered fondly. “There was even a couple of prime standing and leaning spots too, but she walked right by them, that’s how I knew she was ready for something serious.”

For the next minute and a half, Turner says he got all his wedding planning out of the way. The proposal, the ring, the guest seating arrangement, it was all taken care of in his mind.

“I was going to have the whole thing be kind of skytrain-themed because, well, that’s where we first met,” he laughed as he reminisced. “But then all of a sudden everything went to hell.”

Turner explained that in an instant, everything he had grown to believe about his future girlfriend and fiancee and wife turned out to be untrue.

“She had a backpack on so I assumed she was on her way to SFU like I was,” he said, bewilderment still visible in his face. “Sure, I had the wedding all planned but I wasn’t going to talk to her until we both got off at Production.”

“I knew that the time it took to wait for the 145 would definitely be enough to make her my soulmate but all of a sudden she was getting off at Sapperton? I was shocked, this wasn’t the girl I had fallen in love with seconds ago.”

Turner said that he decided right then and there to end things and threw out all his wedding plans, and didn’t think twice about it.

“There was no point in dragging it out, the moment she walked out, I moved on,” he said, explaining he had already put two-and-two together that she had been on her way home from Douglas College and there was no way that would work out.

As much as he says he’s forgotten about the whole thing, Turner still admits he sometimes thinks about the girl who got away.

“It’s tough because she was perfect for me,” he explained. “She had blonde hair, she wore jeans . . . if only she could’ve just been commuting somewhere else, I’d be happily married by now.”

While Turner says it’ll be tough for him to ever love again, he expects that another marriage candidate will reveal herself someday, and she’ll most likely be someone he sees tomorrow who sits down for lunch in the general vicinity he’s studying in.