Pipe Dream

0
632

Alan Bevan - Abbotsford

SFU contains a host of hidden wonders; one of them, in particular, is dear to my ear. As far back as I can remember, I have felt enamored by music of Scottish origin — in particular, the tradition of piping combined with drums. 

I stumbled upon SFU’s Pipe Band one day during a short stroll across Burnaby Mountain. Literally, all it took was walking by the Pipe Band practicing, and I was hooked. Without a second’s hesitation, I plunged head-first into the bagpiping, drumming goodness. 

For over 30 years, the SFU Pipe Band was organized, led, and conducted by Terry Lee. Recently, Lee stepped down and was replaced by Alan Bevan, a world class piper and member of the band since 1995. I had the opportunity to interview Alan about the SFU Pipe Band and his prior involvement with Terry and Jack Lee.

“I started when I was seven and a half in Abbotsford in the local Pipe Band, eventually reaching Grade 1 and competing against the SFU Pipe Band,” Bevan remembers. “Grade 1” is a term connoting the highest level of performance within the world of piping. After facing off against SFU, Bevan soon joined the team’s ranks, and rose to become one of its most prominent pipers.

Replacing Lee as SFU’s pipe major was a daunting task for Bevan, especially in light of the band’s six-time World Champion status under the former’s leadership. However, Bevan has a wealth of experience, both with piping and with the Lee family.

“We have people come from all over the world to play in the band.” – Alan Bevan, pipe major

“I started taking lessons from Jack Lee [pipe sergeant of the SFU Pipe Band and Terry’s brother] as a young teenager. That was a turning point in my career. I did well in the amateur ranks, and I turned pro after studying under Jack for a year,” Bevan explained.

He continued, “They [Terry and Jack Lee] are both excellent players. Terry was the first one to be asked to join the Pipe Band. Jack has been the number two guy in the pipe core. They have a symbiotic relationship.”

Despite leaving his grand legacy to Bevan, Terry Lee is still involved with the SFU Pipe Band; however, his level and degree of involvement has lessened, with Alan taking on many of Lee’s previous tasks. Though he has big shoes to fill, Bevan is confident in his level of expertise as a piper.

Speaking to his experience at the highest level, Bevan said,“You can only win the gold medal once at each of those contests [which SFU Pipe Band competes in]. I’ve now won each of those gold medals.”

But it’s not just Bevan raking in the medals. Besides meeting the pipe band’s exceptional leadership, I have also experienced first-hand the high-quality drummers and pipers that make up the band, each of whom is passionate about both the music and the team — living up to the impressive standard Bevan has set.

“It’s a tough band to get into in the first place,” Bevan admitted, referring to the group’s high standards. “We have kids come up through the ranks of the Robert Malcolm Memorial Organization [and Pipe Band]. Not all of those guys get into SFU. A few have, they’re pretty fired up by the time they get there, obviously.

“We have people come from all over the world to play in the band,” Bevan continued. The Pipe Band’s international and local performers throughout the last few decades have performed at such venues as Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center in New York, the Salt Lake Tabernacle, and the Sydney Opera House. 

The pipe band has an unique way of preparing for a given season; it’s a process Bevan describes as the band’s way of always having something to work towards. Rather than focusing single-mindedly on one big performance at the World Championships, the band works towards other contests, while keeping their eventual goal of a championship in mind.

This kind of preparation keeps the band’s spirits and motivation high throughout the year. In fact, it may be the secret to their world class success. Not many universities can claim to have a pipe band; even fewer can claim to have one as talented and successful as ours. As the band’s proud new pipe major, Alan Bevan has high hopes for the future — and with everything he has going for him, why shouldn’t he?