Coffee, Tragedy, History: Musette

1
498

It started like all good things do: from something vague I heard in passing. I heard from my friend that my other friend’s dad mentioned some cyclist café in an alley somewhere — the thought stuck in my head. It felt romantic somehow, like a secret gathering place for conspirators. Only instead, hipster cyclists. 

The thought captured the true feeling of the café. After all, some of the first cafés were banned out of fear of conspiracy; the local rulers thought that such places would encourage too much talk among intellectuals and, inevitably, dissidence.

I did some digging (a Google search) and found the address of the mysterious biker’s retreat. Seeking to camouflage myself I mounted my road bike and set off. It wasn’t the hidden smuggler’s den I’d expected it to be, and I found it with relative ease. In fact it wasn’t even in an alley, a fact that threw me off the trail for some time. The café was more capable of subterfuge than I had calculated; the bastard was hiding in plain sight.

Upon entering, the first thing I noticed was the minimalist decor. Faded wood trim, simple black and white menus and chipped paint gave it a Parisian feel. TV screens were showing elite level bike racing and old bike memorabilia dotted the walls. I’m no elite cyclist, but I still appreciate any opportunity to pretend I’m French.  

Keeping with the minimalist themes of the café, I ordered a basic dark roast coffee and sat inside. Old school hip hop played over the sound system, the coffee was good quality and it was reasonably priced — all good signs. The menu offered all the basic espresso drinks (Americano, Cappuccino, Latté), but nothing incredibly extravagant. There was a wide array of sweets and sandwiches available, all of which looked tasty. 

Musette is a place for good honest coffee but it’s more than that. It’s a place for cyclists to connect and to share in their love of both coffee and cycling. It’s a farewell to traffic after a long bike ride; it’s the place where the next Hemingway could write his first book. 

Normally, I would evaluate the café’s level of support for the arts but, with such a specialized café, it’s hard to judge. This spot offers information regarding local bike races and other cycling events and it does not discriminate. Cyclist or not, it’s a great place to write, read or draw. Musette supports the art of cycling and the art of community. Not to mention it’s a cheap vacation spot: cycle there and order a coffee, sit facing in, and with a little imagination you could be in Paris. 

I would definitely recommend Musette to artists. Even if it does not directly support all forms of art, it does encourage enjoyable physical exercise in the form of cycling. Exercise is my tried and tested cure for writer’s block and I believe it can help any artist in need of inspiration.

Musette is located at 75 E Pender Street & 1262 Burrard Street, Vancouver.