University Briefs

0
461

WEB-briefs-Mish Sukharev-flickr

Recruitment company sues University of Windsor for $24M

A company hired by the University of Windsor to recruit international students is suing the school for $24.1 million, claiming that the university violated a contract between the two. Higher-Edge, which runs the Canadian University Application Centre, is alleging that the university “solicited and conspired with Higher-Edge’s personnel to divert business away from Higher-Edge and to set up a competing business.”

Higher-Edge says that it has recruited an estimated 6,300 students to the university — resulting in approximately $400 million in revenue — in return for a fee paid to them by the university. The University of Windsor is currently preparing its statement of defence.

With files from CBC News

U of C holds celebration of life for murder victims

University of Calgary students came together last Wednesday for a community service in honour of the five students murdered on April 15. The victims, aged 21 to 27, were stabbed to death at a house party by a fellow student.

Hosted by the university, the service gave students, faculty and staff as well as those from Mount Royal University and Alberta College of Art and Design an opportunity to remember as a community. Donna Kennedy-Glans, MLA for Calgary Varsity, said, “The community is still grieving. It’s really quite important that we get together and share stories and grieve together.”

With files from Calgary Herald

Anti-gay activist arrested at University of Regina

US anti-gay activist Peter LaBarbera was arrested at the University of Regina last Monday after refusing to leave the campus. LaBarbera, who is with the group Americans for Truth about Homosexuality, was distributing anti-gay literature and graphic images along with fellow activist Bill Whatcott. 

The university issued a statement that the two would be monitored to ensure that they would not be promoting hatred, but when a university official asked the two to leave, they refused. The police subsequently arrived, handcuffed LaBarbera and Whatcott, and removed them. 

LaBarbera defended his right to be on the campus, saying, “The idea that you can’t have an open debate on homosexuality on a college campus and some speech code is brought in, to kick people off [. . .] seems to me to be pretty undemocratic.”

With files from Global News