Thank the young players

1
560

CMYK-Whitecaps-Alan Davey-Flickr copy

In case you missed it, Canadian soccer was given a beacon of hope earlier this month. The hope that our homegrown talent can effectively tangle with million dollar European talents was affirmed by a handful of defiant, debutant Vancouver Whitecaps.

When manager Carl Robinson named his preliminary squad call-ups to the first-leg match of the Amway Canadian Championship away to Toronto FC, fans were in a mix of shock, worry, and national excitement. Understandably so, the immense pressure to come out with a result after years of failed defensive strategies and agonizing defeats due to the “away goals rule” had taken its toll on the ‘Caps faithful.

Now, the onus was on a starting 11 with an average age of 22 to kick off the tournament away to a star-studded Toronto in the right fashion. Vancouver’s Welsh manager also gave three teenagers their first professional start at BMO field; most notably Calgary’s 17-year old shot stopper, Marco Carducci.

Captained by 21-year old Niagara Falls native Russell Teibert (who joined the ‘Caps residency program at age 16), the blue and white did not disappoint. The young guns finished more passes and shots on target — 323 and six over Toronto’s 318 and four respectively. On the defensive hand, the Vancouverites blocked three dangerous chances and Carducci came up big and composed during hectic moments.

The reds were no pushovers, and reaped a two-goal benefit provided by newly signed designated players Jermaine Defoe and Michael Bradley. Without hesitation, the Whitecaps answered the two-goal deficit just before the final whistle courtesy of 19-year old Kekuta Manneh’s strike.

Thus the hard work reaped reward: the FC won 2-1, but the ‘Caps left the pitch delighted with grabbing what could be a crucial away goal. Just a 1-0 victory at a home return leg could take them to the Amway Canadian Championship final.

Winning the Canadian Championship with homegrown talent could invigorate the spirit of Canadian soccer.

Carl Robinson’s faith in the explosive speed and technical abilities of the young Canadians has proven to be iconic for the nation and club alike. In the face of Toronto’s million dollar signings, the Whitecaps defiantly controlled and dictated what the fans had wanted and needed, in true David vs. Goliath fashion.

Robinson spoke highly of his players following the match. “Nobody expected anything from us,” he said. “I told the guys to [. . .] enjoy yourself and play with a smile. I think they certainly did that.” This single opportunity that Robinson has given these young players will surely galvanize them for years to come.

Winning the Canadian Championship with homegrown talent is the fairytale ending that could invigorate the spirit of the sport on Canadian soil. Aspiring starlets now know that there is a national tournament to strive for and potentially earn a first professional start. Teams do not always have to spend millions to gain victories and form a squad; youth can be the answer.

Soccer fans can attest to the revolutionary power of youth academies that create championship-winning homegrown players for world-class clubs such as Barcelona, and corresponding national teams like the current world champion, Spain. Canada is a long way away from these comparisons, yet the fans must feel a sense of resurgence and hope due to efforts like this landmark performance of the young Whitecaps.

To potentially host the World Cup in the year 2026, Canada will need a fortified talent core and national team to boot. If youth is the future, then the future certainly looks bright.