Perogies, sauerkraut, and borscht, oh my!

0
937

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Confession time: I have no idea how to spell perogy. Pierogi? Pirogi? Whatever the spelling, smother it in fried onions and sour cream and it’s guaranteed to be delicious, which is why I was so excited to hear about the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church’s Friday Night Supper. They offer perogies, cabbage rolls, Ukrainian sausage and borscht the first Friday of every month, and it is so worth the wait.

The church looks like something off of a postcard, all blue and white domes, except for the signs outside directing people to a specific entrance for ‘Eat In’ or ‘Take Out.’ The line up outside is usually comprised of people waiting for takeout, so go ahead and jump the queue if you have time to stay and enjoy this unique dining experience.

The inside of the church looks a lot like an elementary school gym, full of crowded tables and cheerful conversation as people from all over Vancouver get to know each other over trays of delicious food.

Friday night suppers are a great way to enjoy Ukrainian culture and meet new people.

Friday night suppers are a great way to enjoy Ukrainian culture and meet new people — when you enter you’re given a placemat and told to find an empty seat at a table full of strangers — if you’re a big group it can be hard to find enough free spaces at a table to sit together.

The menu ranges from the mini dinner (four perogies, a cabbage roll, Ukrainian sausage and a salad for $8) to the Super Dinner (10 perogies, three cabbage rolls, Ukrainian sausage and your choice of sauerkraut or salad for $15), with a vegetarian option, borscht, drinks and dessert also offered.

Everything is homemade and served by the most adorable old Ukrainian women. To order, fill out the menu card at your table, then wait in line to pay and collect your food. I had the regular dinner (six perogies, two cabbage rolls and a Ukrainian sausage) and I could barely walk back to the bus stop.

It’s a fairly straightforward 40-minute commute from SFU’s Burnaby campus, and you’ll definitely be glad you made the trip. The food is exactly what you’d expect from your Ukrainian grandma — whether you actually have one or just wish you did. It’s hearty, traditional and eaten in the company of smiling faces.

The Friday night suppers are perfect if you’re looking for a unique cultural experience, a way to meet new people, or just really great food. Sometimes a meal can be about so much more than the food on your plate.

The next dinner will take place on March 7. I’m already counting down the days.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset