New season marks a new wave for Whitecaps

0
475

Vancouver Whitecaps FC has finally embarked on its fourth season in Major League Soccer (MLS), after enduring a whirlwind of an offseason.

An inevitable change in head coach saw Carl Robinson take the helm. So far, Robinson has rebuilt his squad with a wealth of youth, local talent, and experienced signings to come away from pre-season with an impressive 4–1–1 record.

The new boss promises an attacking brand of football with lots of speed up front in 2014. Darren Mattocks, Kekuta Manneh, and Erik Hurtado have already proven to be potent on offence, with contributions to wins over San Jose and Portmore during the Rose City invitational competition.

The new coach is already reaping the rewards of multiple signings from a variety of national backgrounds as well. On January 27, Iranian international Steven Beitashour filled the first void in the squad at the right back position following the departure of Y.P Lee. The 27-year old has made 87 appearances in MLS thus far, including a full 90 minutes played in the 2012 All-Star match that was won against Chelsea.

Jordan Harvey, meanwhile, has scored goals at will from the left back position in preseason. Fans could see the American, who joined the Caps in 2011, exchange duties with homegrown defender Sam Adekugbe, who was strong in his home debut at the end of the 2013 season. Robinson will also be glad to deploy his 3rd overall MLS Super Draft pick, centre back Christian Dean, who is known for his size, strength, and strong left foot.

In net, recently signed Paolo Tornaghi comes in to replace Joe Cannon. The 25-year old started his career with the Inter Milan youth academy and represented Italy at every level from U-16 to U-20.

While the Caps have not found a true replacement for departed superstar Camilo, it should be noted that they are now a stronger goal scoring threat from midfield. The Whitecaps lineup has been bolstered by some South American flair after picking up the Uruguayan duo of Sebastián Fernández and Nicolás Mezquida.

Fernández won the 2013 Peruvian Primera División championship with Universitario de Deportes as a striker/midfielder. Mezquida represented Uruguay at the 2009 U-17 World Cup where he was first spotted by Carl Robinson. Both players have already found the back of the net in pre-season.

To top things off, Vancouver has acquired Argentine Young Designated player Matias Laba from Toronto FC on loan. The 22-year old defending midfielder has made 88 appearances in the Primera Division of Argentina, and after just 16 appearances for Toronto was named #21 in the leagues top 24 players under 24 list.

Through tumultuous change, what remains is the presence of established veterans in virtually all positions on the pitch: Andy O’Brien and Jay Demerit in defence, Nigel Reo Coker in midfield, and Kenny Miller up front. Fans will witness the most explosive, gritty, and determined side yet, with every player motivated to silence the skeptics.