Cult sensation Geekenders present The Wizard of Bras

0
825

Wizard of Bras

This past week the Geekenders theatre troupe took to the Rio stage with their first nerdlesque production since the wildly popular Star Wars: A Nude Hope. Given past successes and their “cult sensation” status, the pressure was on for Geekenders to deliver a unique creation.

In a bold move, they took on The Wizard of Oz, providing the audience with a sexually charged musical parody of the original 1939 film.

This Geekenders production, aptly named The Wizard of Bras, offered a vibrant blend of theatre and burlesque, breathing new life into the beloved fantasy. The storyline and characters were reincarnated with a modern carnal twist, and the musical score was adapted to include everything from Disney to Gwen Stefani.

The show opened with IZ’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” as eight scantily-clad dancers emerged from behind sheer sheets, forming a nearly nude rainbow. This juxtaposition between wholesome melody and bare bosoms was anything but discreet, setting an overtly cheeky tone for the evening.

Nerdlesque show inspired by The Wizard of Oz musical fills Rio Theatre.

The performance continued in this fashion, introducing the Kansas personalities with a Geekenders twist. This included a racy number between Dorothy and her male companions, as well as a creative representation of the tornado scene that takes Dorothy to Oz. This last number, set to Ke$ha’s “Blow,” combined an exciting light show with the chaotic twirling of the ensemble cast dancing circles around Dorothy.

Having landed in Oz, Dorothy and Toto — reincarnated as a life-sized bondage dog (Steven Price) — begin to explore their new surroundings. One of their first encounters is Gilda the Good, portrayed by burlesque performer and Geekenders artistic director, Trixie Hobbitses.

For this role, Trixie adopted a slightly condescending and entirely unhelpful persona, highlighting some of the more frustrating aspects of Glinda’s character with wonderful comedic timing.

The remainder of the first act followed Dorothy on her yellow brick road adventures, which included a neat performance by the ensemble cast who formed the “cups” rhythm section for Anna Kendrick’s “When I’m Gone.”

Finally, we are introduced to the scarecrow (Graeme Thompson), the Tin Man (Draco Muff-Boi) and the Cowardly Lion (Stephen Blakley). Of these, a highlight was Thompson’s boylesque number, performed with amusing panache.

Having made it past the lusty apple trees and stripping poppies, Dorothy and her entourage are tasked by the Wizard (Nathan Fillyouin) with stealing the Wicked Witch’s bra, bringing the first act to a close.

The second act was shorter in length, with the high point being the destruction of the voluptuous Wicked Witch (Vicky Valkyrie) and the violent yet sexually charged brawl that ensued between flying monkeys and “good guys.” The play wrapped up nicely with the Wizard’s pantless gifting, the return home to Kansas, and Dorothy’s first and (almost) last striptease of the show.

The production was met with a standing ovation from its audience. While the cast comprised a range of abilities, the amount of energy and effort that each member put into this show was astounding.

Nerdlesque performer Dezi Desire in particular stood out in the ensemble case owing to her fantastic facial expressions and ability to hit every movement. The lighting design was done fairly well, and the make-up for the Tin Man and Wicked Witch in particular was impressive. I also appreciated the creative choice of props and inspired collection of pasties which made an appearance.

Not only did The Wizard of Bras provide a rousing burlesque show, but through the use of innuendo, satire, and social commentary, Geekenders delivered a unique performance that appeals to a range of audiences.

Unfortunately the show only had a two-day run, which seems a bit short considering how much work must have gone into the production. For those who missed it, however, rumour has it that Geekenders will be back come May in a debaucherous sequel to their Star Wars tribute.