Know the snow before you go

0
393

WEB-avalanche-flickr-USDAgov

In light of a recent fatality that occurred when a snowmobiler was caught in an avalanche near Valemount, BC, an avalanche safety information bulletin was released by the BC Coroners Service (BCCS) in conjunction with the Canadian Avalanche Center (CAC), earlier this month.

This is the second avalanche-related death to occur in BC over the last two months, the first being a 29-year old snowboarder who perished on Dec. 20 in the backcountry near Golden, BC.

According to Pascal Haegeli, SFU adjunct professor and avalanche safety researcher, the safety bulletin was issued due to a temporary increase in avalanche risk after a destabilization of BC’s snowpack due to recent drastic weather changes.

“Early in January, we had some massive storms come through that gave us a lot of snow all at once, and that, of course, creates avalanche hazards,” said Haegeli, who was quick to point out that the snowpack has since had time to settle. “Avalanche conditions really change day to day,” he cautioned, advising that outdoor enthusiasts should check CAC’s website for daily updates on avalanche risk before heading out into the snow.

“The best way to survive an avalanche is to not get into one in the first place,” Haegeli said. He advises that students who enjoy outdoor winter sports not enter avalanche territory alone, and says that “open communication is very important for safe travelling in the back country.” A game plan for the day with which all members of the group are comfortable is key to staying out of trouble.

Avalanche safety equipment such as a transceiver to send and receive GPS locations, a long metal rod for probing deep into the snow, and a shovel are crucial to have in the event of an emergency. The ability to locate someone buried in an avalanche quickly is very important: “If you get buried in an avalanche, your chances of surviving are pretty high for the first 10 to 15 minutes — then they drop off very quickly,” Haegeli warned.

In the event that an avalanche occurs, Haegeli suggests travelling out of the area before the snow stops moving. Once caught in a snow slide, he advises trying to get rid of all recreational equipment such as skis and ski poles, “as they will act as anchors within the avalanche that will actually pull you down to the bottom.” Fighting to stay near the surface of the snow greatly improves the chances that a victim will be recovered quickly.

As the avalanche slows to a halt, attempt to make an air pocket for your face. According to Haegeli, running out of oxygen is the number one concern for people trapped under the snow. If you are buried, he advises attempting to make a connection with the surface: “If you are buried fairly shallow, you can try to scream, or maybe push an arm up to the surface so people can immediately see where you are.”

If these methods fail, Haegeli suggests trying to stay calm, preserving as much oxygen and energy as you can, and trusting that your friends will find you.