Fuck it, group of single men still calling it a “guys night out”

0
638

BURNABY — Despite seeing each other regularly and having no reason not to spend time together whenever they want, a group of continually single buddies are still calling their Friday outings to the bar a “guys night out”.

According to Stan Patrick, a 25-year old intern at a startup company, he and his friends still often refer to their plans as a “guys night out” even after years of not having any steady girlfriends or females in their group.

“We normally hang out, go to the bar a couple times a week and I don’t think there’s ever been women involved in any of these outings or attempting to stop them,” Patrick explained, “but occasionally we just have to have a ‘boys night’, you know what I mean?”

The group of six guys, who all met in high school and haven’t progressed much since that time, believe that calling it a “guys night out” really helps them feel as if going out together is a break from their routine activities.

“It almost makes it seem like we’ve been working all week at nine to five jobs and coming home to our wives and families for the rest of the week and this is our one night ‘out’,” Patrick explained. “In reality, other than Jonesie who has soccer practice on Thursdays, I’ll be seeing them every night before ‘guys night’ any way.”

While “guys night out” has no discernible difference from any other night in the lives of the group referred to by themselves — and only themselves — as “the boys”, they maintain a strict code of conduct.

“We have a few rules on ‘guys night’ . . . no inviting ladies, no hitting on ladies, no talking to ladies and most importantly no talking about ladies,” group loudmouth Gary Gumbs told The Peak. “This is guys night and we’re going to talk about guys, like guys like to do!”

Although the group is fervent about these rules, they say they will break them if any woman ever expresses even the slightest interest in joining them.

“I mean, sure it’s guys night out but if any women wanted to come along we’d be cool with it as long as they went along with what we wanna do,” Gumbs explained chuckling along with his pals, “or she could choose what we do, I mean we don’t even have to go out if she doesn’t want to . . . we could just stay home and talk, that’d be a wild night!”

For now though, “the boys” say their traditional “guys night out” will continue and they have no plans on changing the name.

“Fuck it, it’s called ‘guys night out’, I don’t care if it’s the same as what we do every night,” Gumbs explained. “I look forward to every week and never miss it. Do you hear what I’m saying? I’ve never had anything else to do on a Friday night for the past seven years . . . at least let me call it ‘guys night out’.”