Clan softball drops four more in Florida

0
468

The SFU softball team was looking to rebound from a disappointing opening to the 2014 season in Montana, where they lost five straight against non-conference teams. But in four games in Florida last week, the Clan came up empty-handed, dropping all four as their record fell to 0–9 in exhibition play.

The Clan’s best chance at a victory came in their first game of the weekend, a 6–5 loss to the Eckerd College Tritons, the first of a doubleheader against the Florida-based school.

“We had our chances in the first game,” said head coach Mike Renney. “We really showed some spark and showed a lot of fight. I think that loss took the wind out of our sails a bit in the second game.”

In that second game, the Clan allowed double digit runs for the third time this season in an 11–4 drubbing.

“Ultimately we need to have more kids perform,” added Renney. “We’re suffering through some youthful mistakes and unfortunately they’re happening in bunches.

“The youngsters are getting opportunities to play and it will ultimately pay off in time but it may take some trying times to get to that level of experience we need to get to.”

Thatt level is still a long way off. In the final doubleheader of their Sunshine State journey, the Clan’s offence vanished in 8–0 and 5–1 losses to the University of Tampa.

It’s tough to lay blame on just the offence, though: in nine games this season, while scoring just over three runs per game, SFU has also given up almost nine against per game. It’s hardly a formula for success, but there’s little time to mope; the Clan need to turn things around before conference play begins on March 7.

“We’ll return home now,” said Renney after the final game. “[We’ll] lick some wounds and look forward to the opportunity to get outside and get a few more opportunities at some preseason exhibition games.”