University Briefs

0
483

briefs - outdoorPDK
Emergency landing on UBC waters

At 3:30 pm on Sunday, a Harbour Air seaplane made an emergency landing in the waters off UBC. The plane was on its way from the Gulf Islands to Vancouver. No one was injured and the aircraft was not damaged; it was towed to shore shortly after the landing. The company’s VP Flight Operations and Safety, Eric Scott, said that there was a mechanical failure with the engine, but that it was still being investigated. Only one passenger was on board.

With files from The Ubyssey

Students surviving polar vortex 

Despite harsh winter weather, all three U of T campuses have remained open. On Jan. 7, the university made the decision to remain open at 6:00 a.m., despite low temperatures around -30° C.

More than temperatures, the university was focused on what it called a “five-factor” policy including weather conditions, transit accessibility, campus and road conditions, and whether or not other institutions in the area are closed.

Though the weather raised concerns of accessibility for students with physical disabilities, it didn’t prevent U of T’s social programming from taking place – on Tuesday night, a Winterfest pub crawl event went ahead as planned.

With files from The Varsity

UNB shuts down during strike

Stop the presses! Full-time profs started a strike at the University of New Brunswick on the morning of Jan. 13; meetings between the university and full-time faculty were not enough to reach a collective agreement.

All classes at UNB are suspended for the duration of the strike, except for a few online courses. Although having decided to stay neutral, UNB student union president Ben Whitney said he was disappointed with the news and that the UNBSU would be “communicating with the students and getting them involved in the dialogue.”

With files from The Brunswickan