SIX UBC campus assaults believed to be connected

0
587

WEB-sexual assaults-Carter Brundage-ubyssey copy

Vancouver — The RCMP are now investigating six reported sexual assaults that occurred on UBC’s campus over the past over the past seven months. They believe one suspect is responsible for all six assaults.

At a press conference last Tuesday hosted by UBC and the RCMP, Sgt. Peter Thiessen of the Lower Mainland RCMP said an additional sexual assault occurred early Sunday morning, when a young woman was walking alone from Gage Residence on Student Union Boulevard around 1:30 a.m.

He also said RCMP are now including two sexual assaults reported in April and May in the investigation. The Ubyssey also reported a seventh assault last week, which has not been reported to police to date.

“These attacks seem to be crimes of opportunity, where the suspect is specifically targeting lone females in secluded areas,” Thiessen said. One journalist at the press conference pointed out that the attack this weekend happened while many additional security measures were in place.

“UBC is a city within a city, so it’s no different policing here than it would be policing in a large metropolitan city,” Thiessen said. “Our resources can’t be everywhere all the time.”

Thiessen said the Major Crimes Unit of the RCMP has the capacity to provide as many resources as necessary to investigate the assaults.

The RCMP have also increased patrols at UBC, and have engaged other units including the RCMP Bike Patrol, Lower Mainland District Integrated Police Dog Services and the Lower Mainland District Integrated Emergency Response Team.

Behavioural scientists, criminal and geographic profilers are also working on the case, alongside crime analysts, forensic artists and operational psychologists. The RCMP are also coordinating with the Vancouver Police Department.

The RCMP are also using tools like the Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System, a national computer program that looks for links to previously identified suspects. A composite sketch of the suspect is being created.

“I don’t recall a similar set of circumstances at a university or educational campus in this province,” Thiessen said. He also explained that the RCMP would have special strategies in place for Halloween night last Thursday, but would not give specific details.

The current description of the suspect the RCMP are working with is a Caucasian male with a slightly darker or olive skin tone. He is possibly tanned, and is in his mid- to late 20s or early 30s. The suspect has a thin build and is somewhere between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-2. He has a long, round chin and face, a straight nose, a broad forehead and short, dark hair.

“I don’t recall a similar set of circumstances at a university or educational campus in this province.”

Sgt. Peter Thiessen,
Lower Mainland RCMP

This weekend, the RCMP knocked on hundreds of residence doors on campus and spoke to 300 people to get additional information on the assaults. RCMP have received 30–40 tips from the public and they are following up on all of them, Thiessen said.

“We urge anyone with information, however insignificant it may seem, to contact their local police department. You may have noticed something . . . that could potentially lead to identifying a suspect or [the] location of where that person may be,” said Thiessen.

UBC President Stephen Toope released a letter today about the recent assaults. “I am grateful to the RCMP who have made this a top priority,” he wrote. “Their investigation is critical to restoring the safety of our campus.

“In the days to come, until the alleged perpetrator is apprehended, I ask you to be extra vigilant,” Toope wrote. “The ultimate choice is yours, but the RCMP [are] advising you not to walk alone after dark.”

UBC VP Students Louise Cowin also announced that the university is increasing security at campus residences. Starting tonight, one male and one female security guard will be patrolling each residence. There is also a new service called Rezwalk, which will escort students from residence Commonsblocks back to actual residence buildings.

Cowin said UBC is also ramping up access to UBC counselling services, “This is a time to rally support for one another, look out for each other and stand up against sexual violence,” said Cowin.

Anyone with information about the attacks is asked to call the BC RCMP Major Crimes Section’s tip line at 778-290-5291 or toll free at 1-877-543-4822.