SFU hockey wins fifth straight

0
483

Despite an overall frustrating performance at Bill Copeland Arena, the SFU Clan hockey team did what they had to against the University of Victoria to scrape out a 3–2 victory. The win was SFU’s fifth straight to open the season and put the Burnaby squad in a tie for first place in the BCIHL with Trinity Western and Selkirk College.

The opening twenty minutes featured UVic’s first goal of the season against the SFU when Mark Prest potted a power play tally just 41 seconds into the game. SFU’s Graham Smerek would not allow his team to sit back after surrendering the first goal, as he led by example and began to hit every Victoria player
in sight.

The intensity brought by the grinder seemed to spark SFU as shortly after, Pavlo Zerebecky put his speed on display, shooting right past a Vikes’ defender, and feathering a fantastic saucer pass across ice to Jesse Mysiorek, who tapped it into the yawning cage.

SFU’s frantic pace continued as Smerek did what he does best, and drew a slashing penalty due to his relentless forecheck. The BCIHL’s number one power play could not capitalize because the Clan couldn’t hit the net, firing plenty of shots towards the net, but wide.  SFU was unfortunate to not be leading after one.

Victoria continued to frustrate the Clan in the second period. Neither team could muster any great chances as UVic continued to collapse to their own net resulting inwas countless SFU shots hitting a body in front, never even making their way to Vikes’ netminder, Robert Simmons.

SFU wasn’t playing its best hockey, but still outshot the visitors 8–4 in the period, though none of which were particularly concerning for Victoria.

SFU head coach Mark Coletta rewarded Smerek’s strong play when he moved him up to the first line to play alongside Nick Sandor and Jono Ceci in the third period. Coletta’s move provided almost immediate dividends as Smerek assisted on a Sandor tally just  a minute and three seconds into the final frame to give SFU a 2–1 lead.

SFU’s new look top line added another key goal right after Smerek’s tally when Nick Sandor had the puck bounce right to him for a wide open tap in.

Victoria kept the game interesting by adding a late power play goal, but they would eventually get called for a too many men penalty when trying to pull their goalie late in the third.  The penalty proved costly as SFU controlled the puck with their final man advantage to seal the win.

SFU will now hit the road for games against Eastern Washington and Selkirk College with hopes of continuing their hot start to the season, and to take over sole possession of first place in the BCIHL.